Need to raise ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngieGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so I have goldfish in my 20g planted tank and a betta in my 15g barebottom. Both have mystery snails from a clutch that hatched a few months ago. Seeing as this was my first experience with them, I was unaware of shell erosion issues. Now, I read that goldfish can thrive in an environment with the same ph requirements than the snails and so I wanted to transfer them all over to the 20g. I bought caribsea Aragonite because I was told that is added correctly it can raise the ph to the levels needed for the snails. Problem is im not sure exactly how to go about doing it safely. Should I rinse it? Is there a specific amount I have to add? If anyone knows any information on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Well what is your pH now and what do you want it to be? You don't need much Aragonite or crushed coral at all. 1 tablespoon will handle a 200 gallons of water forever. Just have to add more every 1-3 months to maintain 7-7.4 ph (about). If you want to add calcium to the tank, drop in a Tums and let it dissolve. Cuttlebone will also raise pH.

Back
Top Bottom