needed info on power filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello

My question right now is about power filters.

I was thinking if I got a bigger one for the tank than normal I was doing ok. Then I started reading about the movement of water per hour. Can some one please explain this to me and how it all works? Are the filters I already spent money on doing ok or when the budget calls for it should I upgrade?

Thank you so it is very much appreciated

Shacker66

Hello Shack...

If you're following a sound water change routine by removing and replacing at least half the tank water weekly a mechanical filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of four times the volume of the tank in gallons is enough to operate the tank. Go online and check the gph or your current filter. If the ratio is at least four times the volume of your tank in gallons, you're good, but you better be changing out a lot of water every few days.

Mechanical filters really do a poor job of keeping the tank water clean. I'm not a fan of them, so I change most of the tank water weekly in my tanks to avoid using them. But, that's just me. Not many are willing to remove and replace so much water so often.

B

I do water changes weekly. On two tanks more often. The cloudy one everyday for four days it is a lot better now I am doing even other day. 30 gallon every other day until fully cycled My 10 gallon is the best so 1 time per week

I use HOB's and canisters. Even got a couple sponge filters in one tank. All depends on what works best for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom