Needle nose gar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! Haven't been on here for a while! But I'm back and ready to get back to working on my tank.

I have a 68gallon aquarium with a blood parrot and a pleco. I want to add a needle nose gar. There is a very nice one at my lfs that's around 5 inches so I want to hear your thoughts and not make a mistake! I have a place to rehome it in the future if it gets to big.

They get over a foot long. Probably not a good fit, it would probably torture your parrot too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They get over a foot long. Probably not a good fit, it would probably torture your parrot too..

I do have a place to put it eventually. If anything goes wrong. It's a 6 inch parrot. Do you have any other suggestions?

Are you talking about asian needlenose or american?

If you are talking about an american needlenose then consider a grass or redfin pickerel instead. They max out around 12" give or take and it takes them a while to get there.

As to whether they'll coexist with other fish without issue, it's debatable. If the other fish are a lot bigger it probably won't mess with them, but I have had a 6" one choke to death on a really big platy.

Are you talking about asian needlenose or american?

If you are talking about an american needlenose then consider a grass or redfin pickerel instead. They max out around 12" give or take and it takes them a while to get there.

As to whether they'll coexist with other fish without issue, it's debatable. If the other fish are a lot bigger it probably won't mess with them, but I have had a 6" one choke to death on a really big platy.

I was thinking Asian. If you have any other suggestions as to what you would do with the tank let me know! :)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what I could add to this set up that I have?

Ad far as torpedo shaped exotics? Or any fish?

But they are still sweet ;) I'm getting one for my 75g African tank

But they are still sweet ;) I'm getting one for my 75g African tank

Unfortunately my ph is lower than Africans can take. And I don't want to mix Africans and South Americans too much. So any other suggestions of what to add? :)

Maybe certain species of pike cichlids? Not that common and stay with ones 6 inches or smaller. Will not be able to keep dither fish like large danios with these, they are predatory to whatever fits in their mouth.

Yea there pretty cool fellas but so are banded leporinus too for calm guys. Sorry for the lack of help lol I'm more of an African guy but have a 75g oscar tank too :p

Yea there pretty cool fellas but so are banded leporinus too for calm guys. Sorry for the lack of help lol I'm more of an African guy but have a 75g oscar tank too :p

No it's okay! At least you are taking the time to help me. Thanks. Any other suggestions. Like doesn't have to be exotic or anything just anything to add
To my tank. I'm thinking firemouths, and an eel so far

Yea firemouths would be neat.. Or a peacock eel I've seen them at the pet smart before.

Yea firemouths would be neat.. Or a peacock eel I've seen them at the pet smart before.

Yeah those are pretty neat! When they are in stock. And as of the middle of the tank I'm debating whether to try mixing Africans

Hm I don't know of I'd go that route personally.. Could see a big fight erupting lol but who knows..

Back
Top Bottom