Neglected Tank - Reaquascape Time - Substrate Dividers??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 8 months ago i started having issues with the quality of the water in my tank. I think it has to do with the fact GA is in a drought and they are reusing the same water more frequently, therefore, the quality of the water is falling.

The tap water out of the faucet is very soft with a pH around 5.0.

I add 1.5 tsp of baking soda each water change to buffer the water. This brings the pH to aroudn 6.4 and i lower it back down to 6.0 using Co2.

Basic tank specs:
55G
260 watts CF 6800k
Pressurized CO2 with pH regulator
XP3 Filter w/ CO2 Diffuser

So basically ever since the water quality changed, my plants have been substantially less healthy. I recented cleaned out about 60% of the plants in my 55 gallon tank and completely dissassembled my 10 gallon so i can focus on returning the 55 Gallon to its former glory.

Now that the history lesson is over, back to the question at hand.
I am going to be incorporating a "path" of black substrate through under a driftwood arch through the normal substrate.

My question is, what do you all use to keep these two substrates completely separated?

Cork? Cardboard? wood? plexiglass?

I am goign to be working on it all night tonite and some tomorrow. Ill start a fresh thread and update accordingly.

Cliff Notes:
Tank Neglected; Buffering Issues; Reaquascaping
Question:
What is used to keep these two substrates completely separated to they dont mix so i can made a defined "path" in my tank?

There was a thread a long time ago where someone used a thin strip of clear flexible plastic to separate two substrates. It looked great but not sure exactly how it was done.

There was a thread a long time ago where someone used a thin strip of clear flexible plastic to separate two substrates. It looked great but not sure exactly how it was done.

Interesting. Maybe ill snag a report folder from work with the clear poly front viewing window.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

Side question: Every since i have been having issues with my soft water and have been buffering my water, my plants are just not as healthy, ie slower growth, holes in sword leaves, plants dont look as lush, and my crypts melt, then grow, then melt.

Has anyone successfully used Baking Soda to buffer their water and have no ill effects to the tank? Ill take some pics tonite of my tank so you can see teh current condition of it.

Here is a link when everything was healthy (why did i reaquascape it then? it looked good except for its symmetry)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/time-re-aquascape-i-am-never-happy-my-layout-99211.html

thats a great link.Ive been told to just add baking soda by the fishstore expert i deal with hes usually right with his information to me.but have not done. kh is 5 in my water.He tells me dont let drop under 4 kh ph is 7

With your KH going so low, I suspect that your GH may also be extremely low. If this is the case you'll need to add a GH booster as well since the GH contains macro nutrients necessary for good plant growth.

With your KH going so low, I suspect that your GH may also be extremely low. If this is the case you'll need to add a GH booster as well since the GH contains macro nutrients necessary for good plant growth.

my GH is also very low. Are the nutrients the water is missing things other than what i dose with the typical dry dosing regime?

GH contains mostly Calcium and Magnesium. These are also macro nutrients, but not generally talked about in dosing routines since tap water generally has sufficient quantities of both. There are several GH Boosters available, including one by Seachem and Rex Grigg's.

I need more Nitrates anyways, so ill look at the Rex Grigg's. This might also explain why inverts never live long.

Hey ATL please post pics when you get the divided substrate set in place, would love to see it

Back
Top Bottom