Nematodes, good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 5.5G Walstad planted is doing great so far. I picked up 12 RCS from one of the fish specific stores in my area. Lucky enough, they just bought a bunch of shrimp the day I was looking for them! I got a deal by taking the whole tank. I might want to pick up the Yellow Neo's too, as long as everyones doing good.

I've added a couple more plants to the tank as well, now there are several crypts, one anacharis bunch, one small moss ball, one anubias, two java ferns, and a bit of duckweed! The shrimp seem to really enjoy the tank, and cleaning the leaves of the smaller crypts. I love watching them! Two of them seem to have shed their skins already.

But today, I was viewing the scene and noticed some small worm-like organisms floating around at the top. From what I read, these are most likely nematodes. Are these good or bad for small ecosystems? I also noticed a very small round "bubble" that is slightly beige and has a mind of its own, swimming around and landing on plant leaves. I can only assume this is another type of small organism, but I'm not sure what it is, or if it's good or bad...

Can anyone give me some insight on these guys? I would like to avoid putting chemicals in the tank to rid of the organisms. If these are natural, I'll let them live... and just be careful actually touching the water and do water changes carefully.

Thanks for any information!

I have both organisms in a couple of planted bowls, myself. Neither will hurt anything. The "bubbles" are seed shrimp. Less food will help control them. If you want to rid them, you can dose algae fix. HOWEVER, this will wipe out all crustaceans--shrimp too. I have a bowl with plants only and I have eradicated them with a few drops. They are harmless though.

My 5.5G Walstad planted is doing great so far. I picked up 12 RCS from one of the fish specific stores in my area. Lucky enough, they just bought a bunch of shrimp the day I was looking for them! I got a deal by taking the whole tank. I might want to pick up the Yellow Neo's too, as long as everyones doing good.

I've added a couple more plants to the tank as well, now there are several crypts, one anacharis bunch, one small moss ball, one anubias, two java ferns, and a bit of duckweed! The shrimp seem to really enjoy the tank, and cleaning the leaves of the smaller crypts. I love watching them! Two of them seem to have shed their skins already.

But today, I was viewing the scene and noticed some small worm-like organisms floating around at the top. From what I read, these are most likely nematodes. Are these good or bad for small ecosystems? I also noticed a very small round "bubble" that is slightly beige and has a mind of its own, swimming around and landing on plant leaves. I can only assume this is another type of small organism, but I'm not sure what it is, or if it's good or bad...

Can anyone give me some insight on these guys? I would like to avoid putting chemicals in the tank to rid of the organisms. If these are natural, I'll let them live... and just be careful actually touching the water and do water changes carefully.

Thanks for any information!

The little swimming guys are harmless. If tou wabt to be rid of them add one guppy and they will eat them all. Might eat any shrimplets too. Any chance you coukd pm me details about your setup? I like the idea of a walstad setup :)

Back
Top Bottom