Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this fish today, to add colour to my tank but when I got it home it didn't look as bright as I thought it would so it's got me wondering whether this is just the normal colouring or whether its a female. I took a picture to see what you all think.

Attachments

• img00327201103162019.jpg
    img00327201103162019.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 577
A better pic of it's dorsal would help, but I'm 99% sure it is male. Nice fish.

it has lost its color becuase you introduced it to a new tank, he will get it back once hes used to the tank.

Ahh sorry, he doesn't like to hang around for pictures he sees the camera and he flees lol. I thought it might be down to stress but then I wasn't too sure. Would it be possible to add another one? I've heard they are somewhat like male betta's being territorial,etc but he came from a small tank of males so I was just wondering lol

Thanks for the quick replies :D

i tried it with my gold gourami, it didnt work.. i wouldnt reccomend it. as a matter of fact.. not with any fish that breathes from the top, mine pesters top breathing fish.. they think that if there is another gourami in the tank, its competing for females.

Ahhh that sucks :p Iv fallen in love with the little guys :) aren't the gold gourami's more aggressive though?

well, ive also had the kind you pictured.. he was a trooper, first fish i got, he died of ich, im not sure, the gold is just a color morph to the reg blue one.. gouramis definitly do bring personality to a fishtank. btw what size tank?

Now that he's starting to settle in, he's definitely making the tank more exciting to look at :) Its a 12 UK gallon, 24inch long

so 15 us gallons? cool cool.. those dont get so huge since its a dwarf, mines about 3 times the size of that one

Yup 15 US. I've wanted one for ages but could never find them so when I came across them today, I was like a kid in a sweet shop haha What do you feed yours? mine is refusing to eat, instead spitting it back out :/ at the moment I'm putting it down to his new environment but if it continues then I'll get him some new food :)

Stick with one unless you can get a female from a breeder (the chains won't have them regardless of what the "fish guy" says). I had one for a long time, they are very cool fish when they stay healthy.

mine accepts flake foods, but occasionally i will do bloodworms.. but, hes prolly not eating yet, id try tomarrow.. cause hes prolly still a little nervous.

I fed my gouramis a mix of tropical flake, shrimp pellets, and bloodworms.

He absolutely loved the pellets and would swim around with them in his mouth until he was able to break it down small enough to swallow.

Stick with one unless you can get a female from a breeder (the chains won't have them regardless of what the "fish guy" says). I had one for a long time, they are very cool fish when they stay healthy.

If the females are a lot smaller and almost a greyish purple colour? then I saw these in with the males, at a different store to the one I got mine from. Will they get along with each other though? I know gourami's are Anabantids and similar to betta's, so I'd be worried to add one and then wake up to her being dead :/

It's possible over there I guess. Honestly, I hadn't noticed that you were on that side of the Atlantic.

Males will tolerate females.

Yup. Would prefer to be on your side, of the Atlantic though lol

If I add a female, then I suppose there's the strong possibility of babies though. He just looks so lonely on his own lol.

Don't worry

This happened with my dwarf gourami. Give it a week and it will get brighter. My gourami is really colorful now!

I have one as well. I've never found a female at my lfs or petco. He'll brighten up after he adjusts. I've tried it and it seems two males always fight :(

If you want him to eat find out what the FS fed him. He's used to that, he's already been through a lot of changes. Then slowly introduce your food a little more each day while taking away the same amount of the FS brand. They may even give you a little of there's for the transition.
He'll brighten up sooner if he starts eating

Ahh thanks guys, I thought this was as good as it gets lol I was quite disappointed lol. I really want another one, I've seen young honey gourami that were sooooo cute and also fire red; those were in the same tank as my neon blue DG. If I could convert my tank to a gourami only tank, I think I would haha

I'm thinking that he must be happy and he has been eating these mini pellets that I've given him :) plus there's a bubble-nest at the back of my tank :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom