Neon Tetra Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettafish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a few minutes ago I looked into my tank and I noticed that one of my neons was near the bottom of the tank, looking to be breathing heavily, tilted downward, attempting to chase away any other neon that came near, losing its color (its not like the other neons anymore, its more white-ish and losing its red, the blue stripe is more green than blue it seems) and staying away from the other neons. It's stomach is also rather large evenly on both sides. It'll move places every now and then, going to the middle of the tank and such, but staying in one place generally. Could it be bloated? Should I not feed for a day or two?

*Edit:

Now a line of scales are portruding it looks like in the middle of the big stomach! Should I quarantine my neon? Please answer! Now it looks discolored from the rest, so I took it out of the tank in a clear tupperware container filled with tank water. Is this okay? The neon is still breathing hard and facing downward. I added a smidge of water conditioner too.

I wouldn't recommend putting him in that container. The ammonia will build up and kill him quicker then the bloating will.

Yeah, but then I noticed he was pineconing, I believe its called. I did some more research and figured out he most likely has dropsy, so I did a massive water change, deco cleaning, and gravel vaccuuming. Tried to see if it would eat, and it wouldnt, so I put it back in the tank in hopes that it wont contaminate my other fish. It's back to staying on the bottom, but not much more active at all :/ I really hope I dont lose him! I havent ever lost a fish D:

Clean water, less food. Just a guess.

What are your water change and feeding routines like?

Yeah, I'm gonna keep the water super clean from now on! And feed the neons a bit less. I normally change 40-50% of the water each week, but I missed a week because I've been busy with my online schooling since I'm behind >.<

The tetra actually isnt eating, and I already know that peas will help constipation ^^

Back
Top Bottom