Neon tetra sick...anything I can do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed the other day that one of my neon tetras looks sick, and I don't know what, if anything, to do. Is there any hope for him or will I need to put him down? He looks miserable! I copied/pasted the questions from the sticky post to answer for y'all, and also included a couple pics...any suggestions are appreciated!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Neon tetra...pale colors (esp. the red), mouth hanging open like he can't breathe, red gills.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Tested yesterday: NH3-.2 (It always has a slight reading, ever since I added a Zeo-Carb to the filter.), NO2-0, NO3- 5, temp-79F, pH-7.6.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

60 gal. Up and running for a few months, totally cycled.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

HOB filter-AquaClear 110 (500 gph)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Right now, way understocked: kuhli loach x17, neon tetra x12, guppy x8, dwarf gourami x1, RCS x 100+, baby rabbit snail x3. Will be adding large school of rummynose tetra once I figure out what is going on with this neon.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Last water change-Sunday. Usually done once a week, sometimes small WC more often if the substrate looks dirty. Usually change about 30%.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

The neons were the first fish I bought, when the tank was first cycled.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Changed out the substrate recently. But all the other fish are fine, so I don't think it is a factor.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Same diet as always. I feed a variety of food which includes micro pellets, tropical flakes, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, blood worms, and blanched veggies

Attachments

• IMG_3619.jpg
    IMG_3619.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 58
UPDATE: now he's not eating at all...seriously, is there anything I can do or should I end his suffering? I really don't want to lose him, but I hate seeing him so miserable...any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom