Neon Tetra: Unusual Marks / Faded Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently, I noticed my Neon Tetra had a cotton-like substance on its body, (it looked like a saddle… wrapping around one side, over the back, and around the other side). I assumed that it was fungus, but before I had a chance to begin treatment, I noticed that the cotton had completely disappeared. Now it has unusual redish/purple marks on its body and the overall color of the fish looks faded. I’m posting this in hopes that someone may know what it could be and what could have caused it?

My readings, (as of day before yesterday per my API FW test kit), were… Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, pH - 7.6, Nitrate - 40ppm, (I recently had a Nitrate spike, but I’m still trying to get it down to 20ppm w/ pwc’s).

The tank is a 55 gallon and has been operational for almost 8 months. The filter, (brand unk), is a canister type that hangs on the back of the tank and it has a dual filter chamber. I’m currently using Bio-Bags w/ carbon.

The last time I did a pwc was a few days ago, (on Saturday morning). I usually perform 1 pwc per week and remove 20-25%, (or up to 50% w/ a gravel vacuum if the water and gravel are in dire need of a deep cleansing). I rinse the filter media in tank water I remove during pwc’s, but I only do this as needed. Recently, however, I have been performing pwc’s every day or every other day to help decrease the Nitrate level.

I originally only had 1 Neon Tetra in the tank, but then a few weeks back I added 4 more. I did lose 1 of them due to my negligence, (I had 2 décor items too close to each other and the fish got trapped and died). It has since been found and removed from the tank. This Neon, (the one that I’m worried about), was one of the 4 recently introduced and I believe was the one that caused an Ich outbreak, (which has since been remedied).

Another thing that I noticed about this fish is that it has never been “accepted” by the other Tetras. In fact, when it gets close to the others, they lunge at it. None of the other fish really pay much attention to it, (not even the Shark), so I don’t think it’s a victim of bullying. The fish also seems to be swimming around and eating just fine, (which I wouldn‘t think would be the case if it had an ailment).

Sorry this post turned into a novel… just wanted to include as much info as possible. lol

Any thoughts as to what could cause these spots on my poor fishy?

TIA

(BTW, this little fishy caused so much trouble for me that I'm investing in a QT... lesson learned!) ;)

Nobody? Really? lol

Ok, well, tonight I purchased a 10 gallon tank to serve as my QT. Since I was there, I decided to pick up a bottle of API Melafix. What I figure was with the Ich and fungus, that perhaps this little fish had open sores. According to what I read about Melafix, it is suppose to help with this.

So... I got home, performed a 50% water change, then added 6tsps, (the instructions called for 1tsp per 10 gallons, I rounded up to cover 60 gallons). Almost immediately, bubbles formed on the surface of the water and my fish started behaving like I gave them speed!!

A little while later, my Gourami, along w/ all of my Mollies headed to the top of the water and were acting like they were deprived of oxygen. I had, at this point, turned my mid-tank aerator back on to help add more oxygen to the water. I still had my bubble wand and air tube in the house deco going, but apparently it wasn't enough. I just checked on the fish and they're calming down and swimming in the middle of the tank.

Needless to say, I was on the brink of freaking out!! I'm just glad I kept the aerator in the tank, (I was using it as a temporary method to increase the oxygen because I had the temp up during the recent Ich treatment).

I've never used Melafix before, so this is all new to me and it's more or less my last resort to help get my fish healthy again... so we'll see what happens.

If anyone has ANY experience using Melafix, I would love to hear if it worked for your fish or not.

I had a similar problem with a platy I just got. He was kinda twitchy when we got him. He might have had ich? Anyway, I closed my window to allow my room to heat (boy was it hot those nights) to help with the possible ich. Since I got him he has never swam with the other fish. He seems to fear them, however just yesterday I saw him swimming with the other fish, and today he was swimming with him. His twitchiness has reduced quite a bit, although he still freaks out when I come to the tank. Just give him some time to warm up. Remember you just got them, and they're in a whole new world now.

That's great news, DreD! :D I hope that's the case w/ my Neons, but it just seems that the other fish sense that he's sick and want to stay away from him. Whatever the case may be, I was hoping to get more Neons in the future to complete my shoal of fish. It doesn't look like it's going to happen in the near future though if I don't get my tank under control. :( However, all of this made me learn a valuable lesson and I will have a QT ready to go when the time comes to get the fish.

I got a platy along with 2 other fish. It was a loner, didn't eat and then within a week I see spots on it and being a newbie thought "Where did all those water bubbles come from"? The ich spread to a white cloud (which died of an inflamed gill) and a black skirt tetra (but the spots disappeared by themselves). Well, I recently finished treating the tank after seeing spots on my neons and thankfully no more, but I finally bit the bullet and got a 10gal QT. I am still trying to stock my tank and hate to wait but ich stinks. It helps when other members have a problem & post a photo so more experienced people can help diagnose it & suggest treatment. It is such a relief when you can take proper action & help minimize fish deaths.

Update

So... yesterday was the 2nd day treating the tank w/ Melafix and I've already seen improvements in the Neon! The marks are still there, but it appears that they are getting smaller and the overall color of the fish looks less faded.

After I added the Melafix last night, I sat and observed everyone for about 15 min's or so. To my surprise, all 4 Neons were together! I couldn't believe it! :eek:

So, yes, what you guys mentioned about them needing a little time to adjust to their surroundings could be what was going on here. I also strongly believe that w/ the fish apparently getting better, it is now gaining acceptance by the others.

Andreahp, I appreciate you posting the story and I'm sorry about the loss of your White Cloud. :( Hopefully we're both over the Ich stuff. My outbreak lasted 2 weeks, combined w/ a high Nitrate issue, and it delayed me from getting another Gourami and a few more Neons to complete my tank. I'm just hoping that I can get back on track.

Happy day! :D isn't warming to see him swim with the others?! My platy is finally part of the school! I wish the shark was more of a schooling fish! He always hides! He actually makes me nervous cause I have yet to see him eat. Although I haven't been seeing the food I've been hiding for him so who knows...

Happy day! :D isn't warming to see him swim with the others?! My platy is finally part of the school! I wish the shark was more of a schooling fish! He always hides! He actually makes me nervous cause I have yet to see him eat. Although I haven't been seeing the food I've been hiding for him so who knows...

It is definitely a great feeling to see them swim together! :D I've never had Neon Tetras before, so this has been quite an experience.

What kind of shark do you have? I had the same concern for my Red Tail Shark. He would just swim around during feeding time and for the longest time I never witnessed him eat anything. I knew he must be eating something though because he was getting bigger, (and he didn't die lol). Then one day, I saw him sucking on the substrate in one of his favorite hiding places. He's definitely a shy eater. Perhaps that is how your shark is too.

I had a red tail too! He came to today while I was doing a PWC and he is quite smaller than the other fish. He's pretty shy. I expected him him to eat the fry that accidentally were born in the tank but he stayed away from them.

Back
Top Bottom