Neon tetras with white spot/fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluie17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Full disclaimer I am a complete novice to fish, I am more than capable with mammals but my knowledge of our aquatic friends is severely lacking.

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a marineland biowheel75 filter. The tank has been setup since December 20. We added 5 neon tetras at the beginning of March, and recently added 2 nerite snails and one young bristlenose pleco 2 weeks ago.

The tank parameters (using API master test kit):
Temp: 78 - 80 F
pH: 7.6
Ammonium: 0.25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 40 ppm
These have been the parameters for the last 3 weeks. Weekly the top level of sand is vacuumed and a 30% water change performed. Tap water is added after being treated with API StressCoat.

Last Thursday a cleaning was performed and all fish were doing well. Friday night noted that all neon tetras had a grainy substance all over their body, but we're eating well and seemed otherwise I'm unbothered. After some research thought they were affected with white spot, possibly from the introduction of the pleco a few weeks ago, although he does not appear to have any visible spots. Saturday morning one of the tetras was unable to swim correctly and died within an hour. We purchased Ich guard and treated the tank per instructions. Today another tetra passed but the remaining three have greatly improved from the spots but now have significant damage to all fins. I feel so bad for them, not sure if Ich can cause this or if we potentially have something else going or the treatment has weakened them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20210522_144818199.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210522_144818199.MP.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20210522_144750437.jpg
    PXL_20210522_144750437.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 35
Sadly the remaining tetras passed overnight. Our pleco seems to be fine, no spots, and is actually more active with just him in the tank. Feel awful, think something may have come with the pleco and the water change stressed them causing the outbreak. Any suggestions for treating the tank or what process should be done before adding any other fish, really don't want any other losses.

What's funny is my neon tetras died from a similar reason but only I caught it and quarantined all of them immediately. From what I gather laterer by the symptoms was they got the "Neon Tetra Disease". All of them died.

Also 40ppm Nitrates? I'd do a 50% water change that is high as hell. For me at least. I keep it >20, maybe >30 if I am that lazy.

I have been doing 30% changes the last couple days, it is now down to 20. I found a lot of excess food so think the tetras weren't eating as well as I thought they were.

Not sure about the tetra disease, I will have to check it out. Poor things they had been doing so well the last 2 months, then all gone in a matter of 3 days. Never thought I could be so attached to fish, yet here I am!

Personally I treated them against ich first. The white spots did go away over time. But sadly they came back while in medication. One thing I learned is if they are breathing super fast, they are twitchy, and they float vertically or float like some piece of garbage. Then they gonna die.

Symptoms for neon tetra disease: Twitchyness, sometimes white spots around or on the fins. They also had fin rot like your fish had.

Tbh I would treat what you have against ich and see how it would go laterer in quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom