Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now for some reason this fish keeps dieing on me and I have bought them from 3 different lfs that I go to for the rest of my stock but this fish in specific I'm giving up on. My amo and trite r at 0 trate at 5 and ph is 7.4. My temp is usually around 82-84. Anyone have suggestions for another shoaling fish. And maybe why these keep dieing. I have a 55g with 1Dalmatian Molly
3 Neon Tetra
5 Peppered Cory
3 Mickey Mouse Platty
4 Otto
1 Male Betta
1 Bristlenose Pleco

The temps are a bit high but it sounds as if your doing everything right, neons are one of the most overbred fish in our hobby. Most of them are of poor stock, they start out good then wither away within a few months. Everyone talks about neon tetra disease but rarely do I hear the correct symptoms, and feel it's more of a internet scare or a scapegoat than reality. These are one of few species I've given up on.

Yeah I go to bed they are perfectly find I wake up and I find one in one of the plants or in a filter. Finally has gotten to the point that it is annoying. They are cheap but still. I wonder if the glowlight tetra are just as fragile.

I'm going to say it's the temp. I did a heat salt treatment on neons flames and pleco I gradually raised my temp from 80/82 to 84 / 86 I think 86 and when I got up the next Morning all my neons were dead... Maybe they need just a little cooler water ?

That has crossed my mind since I live in the tropics. I keep the ac on suing the day when I see the tank getting close to 85 and them at night it's pretty cool so I guess they just aint as tropical as I would hope them to be. Heh. But all jokes aside I'll have to find another small fish not bothered by heat as much.

Desastre said:
That has crossed my mind since I live in the tropics. I keep the ac on suing the day when I see the tank getting close to 85 and them at night it's pretty cool so I guess they just aint as tropical as I would hope them to be. Heh. But all jokes aside I'll have to find another small fish not bothered by heat as much.

So u don't have a constant temp ? That could be part of the problem as well... I'm struggling with temp in my 10g I'm leaving the light off so it'll stay cool during the day instead of going up to 80. I
Set the ac cooler at night.

The temp is constant between 82-84 between day and night if I ever see it getting past 84 I usually throw the ac on and it maintains it at that range and at night it stays at that range the entire night. I'm a bit of an insomaniac so I keep track of the little things. On a bright note I found 2 tetras that seemed to be hidings I'm back up to five. Guess they were playing hide and go seek but still discouraged by like the last 7 that had past

Desastre said:
The temp is constant between 82-84 between day and night if I ever see it getting past 84 I usually throw the ac on and it maintains it at that range and at night it stays at that range the entire night. I'm a bit of an insomaniac so I keep track of the little things. On a bright note I found 2 tetras that seemed to be hidings I'm back up to five. Guess they were playing hide and go seek but still discouraged by like the last 7 that had past

A constant temp is good ;) I'm glad they are doing well ;)

So about a month has passed and the one neon has for the most part but one of the other neons looks like it has a piece of it's gill bitten off and I believe the culprit again is one of the other neons. Now I'm not big enough of a fan to add more neons to the tank to curb the aggressiveness so are their any other options.

Back
Top Bottom