Neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hu am I do unsucesfull with neons. My water is spot on all other fish are happy and well fed. I do water changes every 3 days. (10%). There seems to be no reason for them to be dying on me. It's not the first tank time this has happened. I was told that eons are mass bread and as a result do t live long but I feel a month or two is a very short life. I have a 300L community tank which is about 5 months old. I do water changes so regularly as I have about 50 fish in the tank mostly small fish. My tank is very well planted. I feed all types of food flake, granular cucumber frozen food. I tend to there every need. It's just the neons that seem to die everything else is healthy and strong. HELP PLS.

I love the neons but have never had any for the fact that people seem to have problems with them. The ones I have seen are dead in the tank, super skinny, bent spines or hang out at the top of the tank with faded colors. Have you tried getting them from another LFS?

I agree, Neon Tetras have been so inbred that they are very weak. I see tons ad many different LFS and they have swim bladder disorders, ich, and many other issues showing their weakness. They are in the same situation as Dwarf Gouramis, Fancytail Guppies, and many other aquarium fish that are going downhill fast. Sadly there is nothing we can do except support businesses that import healthy stock.

Is there anyone breeding healthy neon tetras now? I have heard that they used to live for up to 10 years.

i breed them successfully but they were an expensive shoal to purchase, they need a good shoal of 40 to feel comfortable enough to breed. 3x daily feeds water temperature 28-30'C. water ph 8.5.Soft .
A extremely well planted tank, as removing fry is impossible until later.
Mine hardly have disfigurements and actually grow larger than most cardinals.
I tend to find that there a bit dum, and try too hard to get to food. Causing them to get trapped,die, and then be consumed or never be found.
If i sold them off i wouldnt make any money, because there simply a pain to breed :(.

Just giving you the heads up on why neons are so ellusive and why they die really.
IMO They are cheap in most stores and are easy to replace.
If you have a sump then make sure to cover the intake with the end of some tights. As i usualy end up finding them in my sump :')

Oh and yes they do live for an astonishing amount of time!
!Its mainly down to there motabilism.
If you keep them at 25-27'C it slows metabolism down.
Also neons move very little, and rest regularly,this is visible if you turn the lights off for 20 minutes and then when switched back on you will see that their biofluorescence is dimmed.
3 minutes later they will be pretty again.

All of these things means less cell activity meaning longer life :)

I have had a lot of trouble acclimating Neons into my tanks. The drip method is the only way I can make it work. I have five in a 15 gallon and one is a little bent, but they have been in there for almost a year and are doing well. A couple have grown a lot and a couple, including the bent one, have not grown at all. One thing I have noticed is that after eating they are always standing on their heads like they are having swim bladder problem. Within a couple hours it goes away. I feed them sparingly because of this.

Saltair said:
I have had a lot of trouble acclimating Neons into my tanks. The drip method is the only way I can make it work. I have five in a 15 gallon and one is a little bent, but they have been in there for almost a year and are doing well. A couple have grown a lot and a couple, including the bent one, have not grown at all. One thing I have noticed is that after eating they are always standing on their heads like they are having swim bladder problem. Within a couple hours it goes away. I feed them sparingly because of this.

oooooh, this is interesting, are people really having these problems with neons.

This just isnt acceptable :/.
but we cant do anything, i mean i could start shipping out my good string of neons. if i breed them again. We need to get some good neons out there. strong and resistant to desease :). I just dont want to sell them to none breeders. :/
Just for them to live in small shoaks in community tanks for decorative purposes.

Back
Top Bottom