Nerite Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 6 gallon planted tank having shrimps and some unknown small snails and one assassin Snail. I want to know if I can add Nerrite Snails with them and if they are compatible to shrimps and assassin. I like the fact that they don't multiply. Require salt water for reproduction.

PS: Please tell me if they are escape artists. I don't have a lid so will I be fine?

The assassin snail will eat the small snails but should leave adult Nerite snails alone but all snails are compatible with shrimp I believe

And I haven't experienced it but have heard of others finding their nerite snails out of the water but they are pretty hardy and if you drop them back in they should be fine

I've heard of assassins taking out mystery snails, I wouldn't put them with any snails you want to keep alive.

Thanks a lot but aren't Nerite and mystery snails bigger than Assassin?

Really does not matter on the size of the other snail. I was curious upon how they kill other snails and found this description on another aquatic forum on the web. Pretty grisly:
“11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
I watched an assassin snail eat a large pond snail last night. The pond snail shell was almost transparent (no idea why) so I got a good view. Once the assassin snail (I'll just call it a whelk) got close, a small pinkish "mouth tube" emerged from between and below the eyes (but above the whelk's foot) and just got shoved right into the pond snail's shell opening and snuck up into the guts inside. It did not bore through the shell of the snail, just poked up around underneath. The snail tried to get away, but there was no hope. The snail soon just stopped trying, I could see the heart beating through the shell. It was interesting but also kind of sickly and horrific to watch, like a disemboweling of some prey animal on the African plains :boxed:. I should have taken photos. I could see the whelk's mouthpart continue poking around inside, some juices and gas came out of the snail's shell, and the foot and head started shriveling and turning from normal whiteish to yellow. This happened in the span of about 10 minutes. Then another whelk stumbled on the kill scene and poked it's pink mouth tube around inside the shell as well. I went away to look up info on assassin snails, when I came back the pond snail shell was completely cleaned out. Crazy. This was the first pond snail I noticed since adding dozens of them from another infested tank a couple of weeks ago. I have a feeling it might be the last I'll ever see! :bigthumbsup:”

Yup I wouldn't want to put any snails I wanted to keep in with assassins - they might be fine but then again......

Assasins will gang up on way bigger snails. I missed getting a couple out and they got my nerites and a mystery.

Really does not matter on the size of the other snail. I was curious upon how they kill other snails and found this description on another aquatic forum on the web. Pretty grisly:
“11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
I watched an assassin snail eat a large pond snail last night. The pond snail shell was almost transparent (no idea why) so I got a good view. Once the assassin snail (I'll just call it a whelk) got close, a small pinkish "mouth tube" emerged from between and below the eyes (but above the whelk's foot) and just got shoved right into the pond snail's shell opening and snuck up into the guts inside. It did not bore through the shell of the snail, just poked up around underneath. The snail tried to get away, but there was no hope. The snail soon just stopped trying, I could see the heart beating through the shell. It was interesting but also kind of sickly and horrific to watch, like a disemboweling of some prey animal on the African plains :boxed:. I should have taken photos. I could see the whelk's mouthpart continue poking around inside, some juices and gas came out of the snail's shell, and the foot and head started shriveling and turning from normal whiteish to yellow. This happened in the span of about 10 minutes. Then another whelk stumbled on the kill scene and poked it's pink mouth tube around inside the shell as well. I went away to look up info on assassin snails, when I came back the pond snail shell was completely cleaned out. Crazy. This was the first pond snail I noticed since adding dozens of them from another infested tank a couple of weeks ago. I have a feeling it might be the last I'll ever see! :bigthumbsup:”

Yup I wouldn't want to put any snails I wanted to keep in with assassins - they might be fine but then again......

Assasins will gang up on way bigger snails. I missed getting a couple out and they got my nerites and a mystery.
Thanks a lot. So its a no no. Won't keep them together.

Back
Top Bottom