Net Dips and sanitization?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am still battling popeye in two of my bettas. I have been trying to prevent cross contamination as much as possible, but I would like something to sanitize my various equiptments between use - especially the young bettas in the jars. I use a turkey baster a lot and a pipette for feeding, and during cleaning I would like to sanitize the jars if I am switching fish over. I have a 20:1 bleach soln in a sprayer that I use to spray things down when I am done, then I put everything in a bucket of water with a bunch of dechlorinator, but I would like something to sanitize the stuff between tanks that won't be toxic to the fish - something I can just rinse off in a few seconds rather than having to soak it for hours just to make it safe. I am doing a lot of extra water chages lately and I don't want any infection to spread.

In the clinic we use Virkon and Peroxiguard, both of which are very non-toxic to animals, but I don't know about fish. Thoughts?

I could be completely wrong but isn't white vinegar a form of sanitization dip your net in that then rinse with water? Idk Sorry ahead of time if I'm completely wrong :p

Try hydrogen peroxide. I'd bet that's pretty much what Peroxiguard is. Hydrogen peroxide dissociates into water and oxygen when put in water, so it's safe for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom