Netting Zebras is FRUSTRATING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been trying for 10+ minutes to net my 2 zebra danios so I can move them to a new tank, but they seem to be much too agile for me. Also, my tiger barbs seem to want to be netted as they are swimming right into the net. Very annoying. I decided to take a break because their colors were starting to fade (stress?). Also, do I have to acclimatize the fish if the pH and temps of the tanks are the same?

Oh, tell me about it...never thought I'd catch my poor danio when we thought he was a serial killer. It took me at least 1/2 hour to trap him...and that's the only thing I could do was trap him against the glass...ended up scooping up tons of gravel with him!

And then I had to try to do it again when I put him back after his brief time out!

It took the lfs clerk guy about 10 minutes to net me 4 on Saturday. Shouldn't be so hard in a small lfs tank with like, 25 of them :p

Endgame319 said:
Also, my tiger barbs seem to want to be netted as they are swimming right into the net. Very annoying.
Why is it that every fish EXCEPT the one you want to net is always fascinated with the net? :roll:

LOL I completely agree with you QTOFFER. I netted a platy last night - only after getting all the other platies and guppies OUT of it. Silly fish.

Yes, Endgame, fish can become quite stressed by the net, especially if it takes you too long to get it all over with. Maybe you need a different way of netting - using two nets perhaps?

I'm sorry you are having a hard time - but thanks for the laugh at your expense :wink: I had a good chuckle imagining you chasing after the fish. Kind of like me trying to chase down my 4 year old!!

I had the same exact problem with my Giant danios. Two methods worked for me:
- Hold the net with the opening facing upwards and snap up the net as the fish swim over it.
- Use 2 nets and chase the fish with one and catch with the other.
Bottom line is that it is all luck :)
Rob

I've got to try to catch a 4 inch pink gourami out of a medium-heavily planted tank this weekend. I feel your pain :/

*snickers*

Wait till you have to catch a loach. NOTHING is as fast, sneaky and elusive as a clown loach who does NOT want to be caught. Took me 10 mins in an empty 8g hex tank when I was taking em out of QT.

Back
Top Bottom