Never tested water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29g and a 55g. They have been set up for about 3 or 4 months now. I have never tested the water. There are 6 gouramis, 4 rainbow, 3 cories, 3 angelfish, 4 rosy barbs, upsidedown cat, pictus cat and common pleco in the 55g. In the 29g there are 4 bloodfin, 4 blackskirts, 3 dwarf gouramis, and 4 bleeding hearts. I do water changes/gravel vacuums about every 2 weeks. I've never lost a fish. Am I just lucky or what? :dance:

Were both of the tanks brand new when set up? Did you add all of the fish at once?

Either way, yes you have definitely been fortunate. Even when there isn't a toxin issue (new tank syndrome), there is also the likelihood of getting sick fish (new fishkeepers just love to pick out that lonely little fish in the corner of the tank at the shop), and also new fishkeepers have a tendency to overfeed which is often host to the myriad of water quality issues and other problems that stem from it.

The 29g tank was new and all I did with set it up and let run without fish for about 3 weeks. Never knew I needed to do anything else to cycle it. I added 2 blue and 2 gold gouramis. Then I bought a used 35g which had used gravel. I moved the fish to that tank and added the rainbows, pleco and cories gradually adding the other fish. Then I bought the 55g new and used gravel and filter from the 35g and put the fish into it immediately after setting it up. I believe I've just been very lucky. I will be buying a 55g or 75g in the future. Because I think the rainbows and gouramis will get to big for one tank.

Transferring a used filter and gravel definitely makes things much better, and often instantly cycles a tank.

Running the first tank for 3 weeks empty may not cycle it, but it does help establish the biofilm in the tank and makes the process go much faster once the fish are in the tank. Even without dosing ammonia, there is a likely a small amount of organics that have made their way into the tank so there is some bacteria there even if it is a miniscule amount compared to what is needed to handle a full fish load.

it's definitely possible for a beginner to have success in this hobby.
Changing the water/vacuuming the gravel on a routine basis will help keep toxins down. And unknowingly over time the tank will become cycled.

After reading your posts, it's obvious that luck had nothing to do with it. You used seeded media and gravel to start your tanks. That's basically cycling them.

I do agree that you should get a test kit. When you do experience a problem, quite often the abililty to do a test can be a godsend.

So far I haven't had any problems but I am getting a test kit. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have. Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I just love Aquarium Advice.

Back
Top Bottom