New 10 Gallon - DWARF PUFFER! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prgmitchell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my tank fully stocked! Gonna add another puffer eventually and possibly try out some tiny neon tetras to see if my puffer will tolerate them.

Anyways...!

EDIT: my first tank btw.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 13, 7 54 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 13, 7 54 40 PM.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Photo Aug 13, 7 54 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 13, 7 54 52 PM.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Photo Aug 13, 7 55 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 13, 7 55 03 PM.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Photo Aug 13, 7 55 22 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 13, 7 55 22 PM.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 254
Lovely tank! Long term barely any tank mates can live with a dp. You could try another dp though.

Samzter said:
Lovely tank! Long term barely any tank mates can live with a dp. You could try another dp though.

I agree, probably better with another DP - the Tetra probably won't last long once the lights get turned off, nip, nip, nip - no tail - dead Tetra!

I wish I could have a dwarf puffer.....the problem is, though, that I don't have access to the food it needs where I live.....I would have to order it all online and that would be horrendously expensive. Otherwise, I would definitely have one.

And, I agree that the only tankmate you should try should be another dwarf puffer. They are super aggressive to other fish.

Also: can we see some pics of the fish itself?

I wish I could have a dwarf puffer.....the problem is, though, that I don't have access to the food it needs where I live.....I would have to order it all online and that would be horrendously expensive. Otherwise, I would definitely have one.

And, I agree that the only tankmate you should try should be another dwarf puffer. They are super aggressive to other fish.

Yeah I tried out two neon tetras...they're dead. I think I'll get another puffer and end it there!

And you don't have a petsmart or petco near you..?

And I'll post pics soon! I'm at my girlfriends, tonight at latest.

bud29 said:

You can train them to eat raw shrimp. No snails required. Its a hard and lucky task.

You do need to feed it little snails at least once every two weeks. Their teeth grow way too big, so this is a way to get them back down to size. If you don't feed them tiny snails, the puffer's teeth will severely overgrow and he will be unable to eat.

Also, puffers generally dislike dry foods, they really prefer frozen or live food.

DPs do not get overgrown teeth. On the dwarfpuffer website the owner believes in DP overgrown teeth. On the main puffer website, which he visits, many hobbyists have found that their teeth are never overgrown. When i had my DP, i never fed snails. When i did feed snails, she only went straight to the meat. In fact, not all puffers get overgrown teeth. I never fed snails or hard food to my turgidus puffer for over 1 year. Only fed worms and raw shrimp from the grocery store.

Okay guys, here's a picture of my little guy, "puff" :)

Attachments

• Photo Aug 21, 3 55 06 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 21, 3 55 06 AM.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Photo Aug 21, 3 55 10 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 21, 3 55 10 AM.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Photo Aug 21, 3 55 11 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 21, 3 55 11 AM.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 157
I thought your puffer was dead floating on its side lol.

Anyways, congratulations on your new green spotted puffer.

I thought your puffer was dead floating on its side lol.

Anyways, congratulations on your new green spotted puffer.

the guy at the pet store sold it to me calling it a dwarf puffer but it seems he was wrong...oh man.

well i'm going to have to get some salt for the water.

That's a nightmare, those green spotted puffers can be tricky to keep. Going to need a lot of salt as it gets older, nearly full on marine water when it's an adult. Lovely fish though and probably one of the few that would make me attemp a brackish tank.

That's a nightmare, those green spotted puffers can be tricky to keep. Going to need a lot of salt as it gets older, nearly full on marine water when it's an adult. Lovely fish though and probably one of the few that would make me attemp a brackish tank.

Yeah I love it...and I got another.

I went and bought some snails to eat and have been feeding them bloodworms.
The tank is kept really nice and I do water changes constantly to keep the levels in check while it finishes the cycle.

I'm going to get some instant ocean and wean the salt on them eventually..but not yet as they're still little babies and will do fine temporarily without it.

I plan on upgrading to a 40 gallon very soon, next month hopefully so they'll have a great environment.

I don't regret this at all though..I love these fish..so smart, and fun.
They play in my bubbles...the swim to the bottom and swim in the airstone and let it float them up and they keep doing it!

They always come to the glass to see me when I'm close, perfect fish. Can't wait to take on the brackish challenge.

When you get the 40g, set it up as a saltwater tank. On the puffer forum, many people do the switch to full marine water even when the GSP is juvenile. Once that tank is ready, then drip acclimate the GSP to saltwater. This is much easier than converting the whole tank from freshwater to saltwater because you get to prepare for the needed equipment and changes.

Definitely get a skimmer and I suggest getting a refugium for growing macroalgae. Both items helps minimize the expensive water changes.

Back
Top Bottom