New 10 Gallon Tank Help!! Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Def

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, my name is David and I am new to this forum, and this happens to be my first post. I NEED HELP! This story is over the span of around 3 weeks. It explains my attempt to maintain the 3 new Glofish I purchased at Petsmart.

3 weeks ago I purchased my first "Top Fin" 10 gallon tank. It came with a 10 gallon filter. I knew nothing about the hobby ... !

I filled the tank, added the water softener to rid the water of Chlorine and waited 24 hours. I then returned to Petsmart and bought 3 "Glofish".

I also purchased a heater and a couple of props for the tank.

When I got home I warmed the water to around 78 degrees, sat the bag of fish into the water for about 30 minutes before releasing them into the tank.

I knew nothing about the "cycling" of an aquarium, nor was it ever mentioned to me after a lengthy conversation with the people at Petsmart.

For the first 10 days or so, the fish seemed to thrive. They were super active and eating twice a day. Little did I know, I was throwing too much food into the water, which may have contributed to their demise.

After around 12 days, I noticed the fish were hovering at the top of the tank. I also noticed they had white spots on their bodies.

I went back to Petsmart and purchased Ich medicine, aquarium salt, and an air stone. As soon as I got home, I setup the air stone, did a 25% water change, included aquarium salt, threw in the Ich medicine, and turned up the heat to around 82-85 degrees.

From then on I did a 20-25% water change daily(with the water dechlorinater). I also included the Ich medicine daily, and put in about half a tablespoon of aquarium salt with each water change.

The ich seemed to get better, but the fish never ceased to struggle. They would stop hovering at the top of the tank, but they basically kinda floated around and swam only if needed. However, it did seem like their appetite slightly improved.

I continued to feed(overfeed) them for the next 3 days(twice a day). The ich actually seemed to improve as I kept my daily maintenance up, but the fish never seemed to recover. Additionally they would hover at the top of the tank sometimes(but not all the time).

I missed 2 days of the 25% water change, but still added the Ich medicine.
After the 2 days I continued my water changes.

After around 17 days I finally read about the process of "cycling" a new fish tank to build up the new bacteria's the fish need to survive.

I immediately purchased an API master test kit. The results of the test.
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: Between 1.0 - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite: Hard to tell, but between 0ppm-.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm.

The day after the test, the first fish died.

I purchased my three fish October 4th, and the final two fish died today on the 22nd.

Whats weird, is the last couple of days, the Ich seemed to get worse even though I was doing those water changes, and including the Ich medicine. The water was always at around 82 degrees.

I am now at a loss. What do I do next. I have an empty 10 gallon tank. I would like to get new fish, but feel super bad I let the others die. I don't even really know why they died.

My questions.

Are the numbers from the test mentioned above lethal?

Was I just too late in my attempts to save their lives?

I used a dechlorinator, but kind of guessed at how much to put into the 25% water change. That isn't toxic is it? Also, I know chlorine will kill the fish and cause them to exhibit some of the symptoms I observed. I let the water softner/dechlorinator sit for 15 mins before adding. I am worried I may have been adding chlorinated water to the tank. Should I test the water for chlorine whenever doing a water change?

I also guessed at the aquarium salt amount for the 25% water change based on the amount of salt needed per 5 gallons. Could excess salt kill them?

My tank is empty and I want to make sure any Ich remaining in the water is gone. I maxed out my water heater and re-inserted the carbon filter. The air stone and filter will continue to run. I plan to test the water every other day for the next week. When do you think it would be safe to re-introduce fish to the tank?

Lastly, with the water filter and air stone, it seems there is a significant current in the tank. Is that a problem?

I was thinking about purchasing 3 guppies this time, because the are tougher in new aquariums. What would you guys suggest?

Also, would snails help the fish survive?

Again, thank you for the information ahead of time.

I was the same way, still in the same situation. I got a 20 gallon tank, let it run for a week, put 4 guppies in and two died a couple days later while the others floated at the top. Learned of the cycling process and took my last two fish and put them in a friends tank until mine is cycled. All I know is ammonia and nitrites are bad bad bad and nitrates are good (as far as I know). But give this a read http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
It helped me. I'm currently stuck in the middle of cycling though. Trying to figure out what's wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys, my name is David and I am new to this forum, and this happens to be my first post. I NEED HELP! This story is over the span of around 3 weeks. It explains my attempt to maintain the 3 new Glofish I purchased at Petsmart.

3 weeks ago I purchased my first "Top Fin" 10 gallon tank. It came with a 10 gallon filter. I knew nothing about the hobby ... !

I filled the tank, added the water softener to rid the water of Chlorine and waited 24 hours. I then returned to Petsmart and bought 3 "Glofish".

I also purchased a heater and a couple of props for the tank.

When I got home I warmed the water to around 78 degrees, sat the bag of fish into the water for about 30 minutes before releasing them into the tank.

I knew nothing about the "cycling" of an aquarium, nor was it ever mentioned to me after a lengthy conversation with the people at Petsmart.

For the first 10 days or so, the fish seemed to thrive. They were super active and eating twice a day. Little did I know, I was throwing too much food into the water, which may have contributed to their demise.

After around 12 days, I noticed the fish were hovering at the top of the tank. I also noticed they had white spots on their bodies.

I went back to Petsmart and purchased Ich medicine, aquarium salt, and an air stone. As soon as I got home, I setup the air stone, did a 25% water change, included aquarium salt, threw in the Ich medicine, and turned up the heat to around 82-85 degrees.

From then on I did a 20-25% water change daily(with the water dechlorinater). I also included the Ich medicine daily, and put in about half a tablespoon of aquarium salt with each water change.

The ich seemed to get better, but the fish never ceased to struggle. They would stop hovering at the top of the tank, but they basically kinda floated around and swam only if needed. However, it did seem like their appetite slightly improved.

I continued to feed(overfeed) them for the next 3 days(twice a day). The ich actually seemed to improve as I kept my daily maintenance up, but the fish never seemed to recover. Additionally they would hover at the top of the tank sometimes(but not all the time).

I missed 2 days of the 25% water change, but still added the Ich medicine.
After the 2 days I continued my water changes.

After around 17 days I finally read about the process of "cycling" a new fish tank to build up the new bacteria's the fish need to survive.

I immediately purchased an API master test kit. The results of the test.
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: Between 1.0 - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite: Hard to tell, but between 0ppm-.25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm.

The day after the test, the first fish died.

I purchased my three fish October 4th, and the final two fish died today on the 22nd.

Whats weird, is the last couple of days, the Ich seemed to get worse even though I was doing those water changes, and including the Ich medicine. The water was always at around 82 degrees.

I am now at a loss. What do I do next. I have an empty 10 gallon tank. I would like to get new fish, but feel super bad I let the others die. I don't even really know why they died.

My questions.

Are the numbers from the test mentioned above lethal?

Was I just too late in my attempts to save their lives?

I used a dechlorinator, but kind of guessed at how much to put into the 25% water change. That isn't toxic is it? Also, I know chlorine will kill the fish and cause them to exhibit some of the symptoms I observed. I let the water softner/dechlorinator sit for 15 mins before adding. I am worried I may have been adding chlorinated water to the tank. Should I test the water for chlorine whenever doing a water change?

I also guessed at the aquarium salt amount for the 25% water change based on the amount of salt needed per 5 gallons. Could excess salt kill them?

My tank is empty and I want to make sure any Ich remaining in the water is gone. I maxed out my water heater and re-inserted the carbon filter. The air stone and filter will continue to run. I plan to test the water every other day for the next week. When do you think it would be safe to re-introduce fish to the tank?

Lastly, with the water filter and air stone, it seems there is a significant current in the tank. Is that a problem?

I was thinking about purchasing 3 guppies this time, because the are tougher in new aquariums. What would you guys suggest?

Also, would snails help the fish survive?

Again, thank you for the information ahead of time.

Hello!

What a read... :whistle:

Exactly 55 weeks ago tomorrow I was in the same boat as you ;) no knowledge of cycling and a horrid case of ich.

Ich is not a hard disease to treat, but an uncycled tank as you have noticed makes it much harder.

1. Now that you have an empty tank I'd start by doing 100% water change and clean whatever substrate you have. This should get rid of all the ich. Fill tank back up and you can get moving on cycling.

2. Please be aware cycling a tank from scratch can take 4-6 weeks. You are already seeing nitrites so you are a good bit into the cycle already.

3. Yes 2ppm ammonia is toxic. The ammonia and the ich was just too much for them to handle.

4. I'd credit this to misinformed by the employee. They likely had ich at the store and it was just not visible yet, combined with the stress of an uncycled tank it made it worse.

5. When adding dechlorinator it's okay to overdose a bit, it doesn't need to be exact. Either treat the bucket you use or the whole volume of the tank. So your tank is 10 gallons when treating the tank you would add enough to treat 10 gallons of water.

6. excess salt can but I think you had the dosage right. I follow 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

7. No current is not a problem. And be aware air stones are purely cosmetic or used medicinally like with your case of ich to increase oxygen content in the water.

8. Stocking is up to you within reason. We can help you cycle the tank properly and you shouldn't have this experience again.

9. I don't see how snails would help a fish survive. If you like them get some but it's not going to help the fish directly.

10. If you want, I have a very simplified version of what cycling is and how to cycle a tank if you would like me to post it. It's quite lengthy.

Caleb

Thanks for the reply Caleb. I have a pretty good understanding of how to cycle the tank after pretty extensive research. I will take the advice of completely emptying my tank and starting over.

How should I clean the substrate? Will is be ok to use soapy water and then rinse?

Thanks for the reply Caleb. I have a pretty good understanding of how to cycle the tank after pretty extensive research. I will take the advice of completely emptying my tank and starting over.

How should I clean the substrate? Will is be ok to use soapy water and then rinse?

No don't use soap! If it's gravel you can hand rinse or use a strainer.

Caleb

Don't use soapy water or any type of detergent. Also, think about how you would like to cycle the tank for the next try at it. Think it all through and do not make impulse purchases.

I am going to clean the tank out with a bleach/water mixture. Should I rinse the substrate in the same mixture? It is gravel and to be honest looks like it may have a thin layer of algae(or something) on it.

Do not use bleach. Rinse in normal tap water and if you are worried about them put them out in the sun to kill anything additional. The only things that are relativity safe to clean tanks and stuff with are peroxide and vinegar.

So here is my advice:
Tetra Easystart or other similar product (I think API makes one too) is a great way to jumpstart your cycling. The ammonia levels are probably what killed your fish. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0. Easystart adds nitrifying bacteria and enzymes to the water to get it populated faster allowing you to add some fish. I wouldn't worry so much about ich. Ich infections really only happen if water quality is poor or the fish are stressed. I would not worry about totally sanitizing the tank with bleach or anything, even keeping the bacteria in the gravel would be good. Then go from there. Make sure to test the water every day and if ammonia is high, do a 50% water change. In an emergency, there are chemicals you can buy to neutralize it. Seachem Prime is good too, that can alleviate nitrite toxicity.

So here is my advice:
Tetra Easystart or other similar product (I think API makes one too) is a great way to jumpstart your cycling. The ammonia levels are probably what killed your fish. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0. Easystart adds nitrifying bacteria and enzymes to the water to get it populated faster allowing you to add some fish. I wouldn't worry so much about ich. Ich infections really only happen if water quality is poor or the fish are stressed. I would not worry about totally sanitizing the tank with bleach or anything, even keeping the bacteria in the gravel would be good. Then go from there. Make sure to test the water every day and if ammonia is high, do a 50% water change. In an emergency, there are chemicals you can buy to neutralize it. Seachem Prime is good too, that can alleviate nitrite toxicity.

You can have a higher tank temp for cycling the tank [emoji6] but keep in mind the proper tank temperature for different fish, goldfish do not require a heated tank and they ate cold water fish , as for tropical fish warmer temperatures are needed , depending on what type of fish you select.
You've received some good advice already from what I'm reading, just thought to add this in case it was missed out.

Good luck , and follow the advise from the good people here, and learn what you can.[emoji1]

Clem.

You can have a higher tank temp for cycling the tank [emoji6] but keep in mind the proper tank temperature for different fish, goldfish do not require a heated tank and they ate cold water fish , as for tropical fish warmer temperatures are needed , depending on what type of fish you select.
You've received some good advice already from what I'm reading, just thought to add this in case it was missed out.

Good luck , and follow the advise from the good people here, and learn what you can.[emoji1]

Clem.

I think OP means Glofish, like those bigger tetras that glow under a black light. 78 degrees is probably good for them.

Thank you for all of the advice guys. I did a 100% water change. I tested the water before the water change and the readings were:

pH: 7.6
ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrate: between 5-10 ppm

So I did not clean the gravel and simply added it back to the tank.

I added 3-4ppm ammonia, and the tank water is currently around 86 degrees. Hopefully this cycle will go quickly, so I can populate it with fish!

Since you have nitrites and nitrates showing up, your cycle is already a decent way through. If I had to guess from experience, your tank will be ready for fish in 2 weeks or so!

The ich that got into my tank killed 3 rosy fin tetras sadly but I did purchase a chemical called ich-x and aquarium salt, and followed it for 3 days and did no water changes and it was all gone

Back
Top Bottom