new 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm a few days into my startup n the 10 gallon. The cloudiness has definately gone down and is continuing to. Did my first water tests today. Its been about two days since I started it up. These are my test results

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm

And nitrite and nitrate are both at 0 ppm

Looking for possible suggestions on how to get the ammonia level down and speed up my start up cycle. Wish I could upload a pic but its too dark in my room at the moment.

So I'm a few days into my startup n the 10 gallon. The cloudiness has definately gone down and is continuing to. Did my first water tests today. Its been about two days since I started it up. These are my test results

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm

And nitrite and nitrate are both at 0 ppm

Looking for possible suggestions on how to get the ammonia level down and speed up my start up cycle. Wish I could upload a pic but its too dark in my room at the moment.

You can't really speed a cycle up.

Fish in cycle? If so then you need to get that ammonia down to .25ppm or lower ASAP. The only way to speed the cycle up is to add seeded media (or gravel) from a heathy established tank.

Fish in cycle? If so then you need to get that ammonia down to .25ppm or lower ASAP. The only way to speed the cycle up is to add seeded media (or gravel) from a heathy established tank.

No its not a fish in cycle

And I'm assuming the best way to get my ammonia level to 0 ppm would be to do partial water changes every so often?

fishfiend said:
And I'm assuming the best way to get my ammonia level to 0 ppm would be to do partial water changes every so often?

The ammonia will drop when their is enough bb to break it down into nitrites. Then that will drop when different bb break that down to nitrate. Then you use pwc to keep nitrates below 20ppm

If your not doing fish in cycle there's no need to get ammonia to 0. You should be dosing ammonia (pure ammonia- no surfactants or dyes in the ammonia) up to 4ppm and and dosing back up to 4ppm anytime ammonia gets around 1-2ppm.

The whole point of a fishless cycle is to build up a bio filter like a train, that's why you dose so high.

The whole point of a fishless cycle is to build up a bio filter like a train, that's why you dose so high.

Thank you for the info. I've been doing research and understand the cycle a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom