New 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenGirl13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new to aquarium keeping and I currently have a 20 gallon set up that has completed cycling and is home to a fancy goldfish, a mystery snail and a pleco.

I have a ten gallon tank that I used a few years ago and I plan to set it up with live plants and let it cycle then stock with some smaller pretty fish but I don't care for guppies. Any suggestions on what kind of fish (freshwater) and how many I could keep in there? I don't want to overstock. I like a lot of color! Thanks :)

The ph in my well water tests at around 6, so I have to keep that in mind.

I'm fairly new to aquarium keeping and I currently have a 20 gallon set up that has completed cycling and is home to a fancy goldfish, a mystery snail and a pleco.

I have a ten gallon tank that I used a few years ago and I plan to set it up with live plants and let it cycle then stock with some smaller pretty fish but I don't care for guppies. Any suggestions on what kind of fish (freshwater) and how many I could keep in there? I don't want to overstock. I like a lot of color! Thanks :)

The ph in my well water tests at around 6, so I have to keep that in mind.

Well, first of all.. if that's a common pleco it's going to need more that a 20 gallon tank, plus you have a fancy goldfish..which need big tanks. I'm not sure of their sizes but you would need bigger than a 20 soon. As for your you could do a number of things..neon tetras might be okay, many people think any tetra could be in a 20, but for neons I think you're ok there. Especially for a planted tank you're limited on room too. Platys maybe?

Thanks for the reply, I have a 50 gallon tank as well but it needs a filter and since I'm on a budget it will have to wait till payday but I've been wanting to set it up for the Goldie so I can get him a friend or two.
I didn't know that about my pleco as the LFS isn't really all that helpful and lots of times doesn't even know what they're selling really.

As for the 10 gallon...I'm still kinda at a loss. Platys sound good maybe with a couple of frogs? Is a ten gallon tank big enough to support about 4 African clawed frogs or dwarf frogs?

Thanks for the reply, I have a 50 gallon tank as well but it needs a filter and since I'm on a budget it will have to wait till payday but I've been wanting to set it up for the Goldie so I can get him a friend or two.
I didn't know that about my pleco as the LFS isn't really all that helpful and lots of times doesn't even know what they're selling really.

As for the 10 gallon...I'm still kinda at a loss. Platys sound good maybe with a couple of frogs? Is a ten gallon tank big enough to support about 4 African clawed frogs or dwarf frogs?

You couldn't do clawed..they get way bigger. You could do 4 ADFs but it is helpful if you target feed them and also if they're the only species in the tank. You could probably do like 4 platys and 2/3 ADFs? I have never personally had either of them, so maybe someone else can chime in, I think that would work.

As for the pleco too..be careful with goldfish with them..they are prone to trying to get the slimecoat off them, and once they have it once they will want it again and it'll kill your goldfish.

In a ten gallon.. things such as guppies, platys, mollies, betas, danio, tetra and a few other small freshwaters are always the way to go. Remember with the livebearers you always need a good ratio of male to female to establish a good pecking order. And with danio and tetra you will need 3 to 5 so they can school.

With livebearers your tank will stock itself pretty much. But it seems you have a few tanks and you can always put them in with your bigger fush if you are overrun with fry. Some pet stores will take them in for trade , usually small business pet stores. I believe petco and petsmart have a policy against taking in home bred

Back
Top Bottom