New 10G tank - advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some would say your cycle is nearing completion.. keep doing pwcs and let us know.

Oh gosh I have ich right now! Terrible crud isn't it.

Ok so are you fishless now or still with fish? It does sound like you are nearing the end! Where are the nitrites at?

yea...ich is terrible. I used jungle ick and ick 2. worked like a charm. everything out in 3-4 days.

Fishes are still there. Lost one cory last week. Nitrites are 0.

Very strange. The cycle will not complete without a nitrite spike so keep an eye. That'll kill your fish faster than ammo, so just keep up on those pwc's.

You aren't changing your filter carts are you??

I changed media when i started fresh on apr first week. i installed used filter media from LFS. That definitely caused mini cycle I would say.

ok so i had this problem ammo was up nothing would budge so i did 1 75% water change and 2 50% i believe, and ammo didnt spike after that. i now have nitrites, and am doing water changes to keep them down, and nitrates im in the same situation as u with 1-betta 3-juli corys and 1-algae eater. the disappearence of nitrates could be that there were already the nitrite bacteria on the filter, and enough to get rid of nitrites. just keep an eye on them and when you test 0-ammo 0-nitrites and some nitrates for about 2-3 days straight do a big water change to reduce nitrates to about 20 nitrates, and your ready to go :)

ok so i had this problem ammo was up nothing would budge so i did 1 75% water change and 2 50% i believe and ammo didnt spike after that i know have nitrites and doing water changes to keep them down and nitrates im in the same situation as u with 1-betta 3-juli corys and 1-algae eater the disappearence of nitrates could be that there were already the nitrite bacteria on the filter and enough to get rid of nitrites just keep an eye on them and when you test 0-ammo 0-nitrites and some nitrates for about 2-3 days straight do a big water change to reduce nitrates to about 20 nitrates and your ready to go :)

Joking..but you need to use some periods....hard to read

ok so i had this problem ammo was up nothing would budge so i did 1 75% water change and 2 50% i believe, and ammo didnt spike after that. i now have nitrites, and am doing water changes to keep them down, and nitrates im in the same situation as u with 1-betta 3-juli corys and 1-algae eater. the disappearence of nitrates could be that there were already the nitrite bacteria on the filter, and enough to get rid of nitrites. just keep an eye on them and when you test 0-ammo 0-nitrites and some nitrates for about 2-3 days straight do a big water change to reduce nitrates to about 20 nitrates, and your ready to go :)

I agree, in part with that, I think, however I wouldn't be surprised if there were still a nitrite spike coming.

Also, ideally your nitrates should not exceed 20, so getting it down to 20 with fish in isn't adequate. By the next weeks pwc, the nitrates would be way too high.

no it wont hurt it bc ammonia will be continually being replaced.and sorry about that being hard to read haha :) i dont like punctuation.

yea that was hard to read :)...thanks for the advice :)

If i do that much water change, wont it affect cycling?

Changing of water will not affect cycling because your beneficial baceteria is building up primarily in your filter and then also a good bit in your substrate as well, which is why you wouldn't change your filter cart while cycling or you'd be starting over.

Now adding complexity to whatever it is going on in the tank, i'm seeing couple of frys. I never knew one of the fish was pregnant. Should i take the frys out?

Sure if you have plans for the fry. If not, you might want to just let nature takes it's course.

i got a breeding net when my cories laid eggs (during cycling also), but none survived all got eatin.

Back
Top Bottom