New 110g Seahorse Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just took this and figured I'd post it. Quick shot of my male, Jo. He's 11 days pregnant. Due date in 3 days. His pouch is way bigger than last time - and THIS time I'm ready. Plan on moving him to a fry tank before he gives birth. Giving away this brood to a local reefer again, but hopefully next time I'm going to try and raise them myself.

Attachments

• expecting_daddy_118.jpg
    expecting_daddy_118.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 25
Just as an update, I got the cyano under control by adding a couple smaller Maxi-jets deep in the tank, which do not seem to bother the horses. My temperature is now steady at 73 degrees after replacing an old maxi-jet that was throwing some serious heat.

I did have a problem with my male. He stopped eating and began to lose weight pretty quickly. I gave him a freshwater dip, which he handled really well. Doing some research, I found that seahorses tolerate freshwater dips much better than most fish as long as ph and temperature match. Unfortunately, I did have to follow it up with a formalin bath, which seemed to solve the eating issue.

I switched from Hikari mysis to PE Mysis and I've seen a real improvement in eating habits in general and the weight of all the horses (and my mandarin).

My male has given birth 3 times and is working on his 4th brood.

Everything seems to be going well and I'm really enjoying these little guys. Unfortunately, my flatworm population has officially reached plague proportions and simply siphoning them out is not keeping their population down. I'm probably going to have to move everyone out to a QT for a while and dose with Flatworm Exit. They are getting out of control.

Good to hear you've been successful! Some minor set backs, but hey if it was easy it would not be worth it right? heh
How often do they normally reproduce in captivity? It seems as if they have become less expensive and more readily available in the last few years.

My male usually gets pregnant either the day or the day after he gives birth.

Seahorses know how to get down lol. Seriously though, wow that's impressive. Are there nutrients issues or technics for removal? Does it cause water quality issues?
Sorry Skinnypete if I'm hijacking the thread, those are my last questions. :lol:

Are there nutrients issues or technics for removal? Does it cause water quality issues?
Do you mean that the babies cause nutrient and water quality issues in the tank?
They die in a couple days if I leave them in the main tank. They also get sucked up by intake tubes regardless of sponge coverings. They are so small that they fit in the porous matter of the sponge covers. Eventually, the mixture of the suction and them wriggling around will pull them completely through the sponge and through whatever contraption has the intake tube. I worry about them clogging my equipment. I'm assuming that leaving them in the main tank would cause water quality issues because the survival rate is pretty much nil without a complex baby set-up and some seriously intricate dynamics.
As far as removal of the babies....I pull them out with a shrimp net and throw them in the quarantine/baby tank. I have not yet successfully raised any of the babies. I have reidis. From what I've heard they are the most difficult to raise.
Hope that answers your question.
Hey skinny pete, can you post some new pics? I love your tank :)

Your tank inspires me to set up a seahorse tank. Now, to pass it by the family accountant, erm I mean, wife.

Wow, I ignore my thread for a day and look what happens. I'll just try to hit a couple points brought up in the last few posts.

My male also mates the day after giving birth. He has a brood pretty much every 14 days give or take a day. I haven't attempted raising them yet and have been giving them away to local reefers - none have been successful as yet.

Feeding them twice a day, I'm sure would be an issue with water quality in smaller systems, but the fact that I have so much water and only 4 seahorses and a mandarin helps me keep my numbers down. Nitrates are at 2.5 and phosphates are at .03. Could be better, and I'm only doing 20% water changes every other week. I might start the old 10% weekly and see how that goes. I did take the chance and add feather caulerpa to the main tank. It's taking off and probably helping with nutrient export. I also have chaeto in my fuge and an ASM G3 skimming wet.

I really want to stress PE Mysis for anyone who is interested in keeping seahorses. Gorge from Draco marine feeds even his tiniest of horses these larger shrimp and they chew them down. They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%. As I said, I've noticed them get plumper, and I'm also noticing some color changes in 2 of them since switching to PE. If you look at the first pics I posted - you'll see one really dark, almost black female. She's now kind of gray on the edges and a peach/yellow on the inside with silver patches. I'll have to post new pics tonight. In addition, they are all much more active. So, even if you have smaller sized horses, and two of mine are pretty tiny - try PE Mysis. I'm really impressed so far.

Next step, after flatworms are taken care of, will be to add some peaceful tank mates (maybe a male mandarin and a few cardinal fish) and finally to attempt raising one of these broods.

They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%.
That is really impressive. That's up there w/ cyclop-eeze. It's amazing the difference diet changes can make. Just curious, how big are those mysis shrimp? About the size of brine?
I've never been able to find mysis by itself, only in variety/combo frozen foods at LFS's. PE mysis sounds like a great food for planktiivores like chromis and clowns.

MT79 said:
They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%.
That is really impressive. That's up there w/ cyclop-eeze. It's amazing the difference diet changes can make. Just curious, how big are those mysis shrimp? About the size of brine?
I've never been able to find mysis by itself, only in variety/combo frozen foods at LFS's. PE mysis sounds like a great food for planktiivores like chromis and clowns.

The PE are really big. I couldn't believe how big they were when they defrosted, in comparison to hikari, but Draco Marine insisted this is what their horses love! And darned if he wasn't right.

Here's a pic. The top is an average (trust me there are bigger) PE Mysis shrimp, the bottom is Hikari Mysis. Needless to say, it takes much less to feed them.

Also, I included before and after pics of Natalie - the larger black horse. Looking at these pics, I actually miss the black. And she looks skinny in the new pic. She's not - must have been the angle of the glass.

Attachments

• nat_748.jpg
    nat_748.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 319
  • nat_color_186.jpg
    nat_color_186.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 321
  • mysis_122.jpg
    mysis_122.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 322
The color change may just be the environment factors. All my ponies have changed color and I haven't switched their foods. The yellow male (Banana) is now almost white. My gray and black female (Bella Gray) now has yellow rings on her tail. Boris is pretty much the same color. I heard they camouflage to their environment, so I'm trying to get some colored zoas and other stuff in there. I want to get some dark colored gorgonians, but they're hard to find. I saw a purple one online, but it wasn't for sale.
Thanks for the tip on the mysis. What does PE stand for? I'm gonna look for some of that stuff.

I have used PE mysis for years. It is some awesome stuff. Not only is it bigger, but quite often the other brands thaw into mush and this stays nice and whole.

Thanks very much for the pics!! I definitely have to get my hands on some PE mysis. BTW the seahorse is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom