New 125 pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the Milli colony. Nice shot. Are you dosing 2-part plus magnesium? If so, have you automated it yet or are you still dosing it yourself?

Thanks. Yes, I dose about 250ml of the DIY 2-part every day. Still in manual mode. ;) Those LitreMeter III's are expensive. :(

125 and 125 or 250 of each? I'm still manually dosing too, but I will have to break down and get the LitreMeter III or a Profilux soon.

Can you give me some details like brand and what is the exacts composition of the mixture ?

Thanks

Can you give me some details like brand and what is the exacts composition of the mixture ?

Thanks

I think he did, in the link he provided above.
Ccccapt- your getting up there in the ml dosed. Do you do that dosing all at once or space it out across the day? How much MG are you dosing in comparison to the daily 250-alk and 250-cal?

Great set up!! What lights do you have? Everything looks so bright.
Thanks. I run 3 x 175w Iwasaki 15k metal halides in DIY Lumenarc Mini reflectors and 2 x 160w VHO actinics.

Thanks
All the info is in the link I posted.
Ccccapt- your getting up there in the ml dosed. Do you do that dosing all at once or space it out across the day? How much MG are you dosing in comparison to the daily 250-alk and 250-cal?
I dose the alk in the AM before work and the ca when I get home. I dump the whole cup in at once, but do it slowly and right in front of a K-4 so it spreads it out fast. When I'm about 1/2 done with a gal of ca & alk, I dose 1 cup of mag and dose another cup when the gal jug is finished (not very scientific...lol).

If your looking for a dosing pump, I think I found a cheaper, and at least as effective solution, as buying a LitreMeter or Profilux. Do an Ebay search for feeding pump. I know a guy in my reef club who's been using a Kangaroo pump for a few years. These are hospital grade units and work perfect for dosing.

Thanks. I run 3 x 175w Iwasaki 15k metal halides in DIY Lumenarc Mini reflectors and 2 x 160w VHO actinics.

All the info is in the link I posted.

I dose the alk in the AM before work and the ca when I get home. I dump the whole cup in at once, but do it slowly and right in front of a K-4 so it spreads it out fast. When I'm about 1/2 done with a gal of ca & alk, I dose 1 cup of mag and dose another cup when the gal jug is finished (not very scientific...lol).

If your looking for a dosing pump, I think I found a cheaper, and at least as effective solution, as buying a LitreMeter or Profilux. Do an Ebay search for feeding pump. I know a guy in my reef club who's been using a Kangaroo pump for a few years. These are hospital grade units and work perfect for dosing.

I checked out those feeding pumps on ebay, you can pick one up for around $60 which is even cheaper than the BRS Drews Doser. Do you know what/how these Kangaroo pumps are used for medically?

The Kangaroo pumps are used for dosing meds thru an IV. They do the same thing as a 1 channel LitreMeter. The dosages and times can be set thru the unit.

Do you dose everyday? I imagine that getting very expensive. About how much $ a month do you spend on dosing?

Yes, I dose every day. As for cost, I use the DIY 2-part supplements, so it's as cheap as it gets. I paid about $16 for a 50lb bag of DowFlake calcium chloride which will last a few years. A 12 lb bag of Arm & Hammer baking soda was around $7 and that lasts about 8 months and a 50 lb bag of MagFlake magnesium chloride cost $14 and will last a lifetime.

I would guesstimate it cost no more than $10/year, and I use a pretty large amount every day.

I got both locally. The DowFlake from a Builders Supply store (DowFlake is pretty common so anyplace that sells ice melt should carry it) and the MagFlake from a salt supply place (Cope Co. Salt).

Wow, i was expecting more. IS this all the extra work you have to do for your sps and other hard corals?

I don't do anything special. A big factor may be my system is around 20 yrs old. Even tho I only upgraded to this 125 a little less than 2 yrs ago, it all came from my well established, very stable system.

Anyway, here's my routine. RO/DI water for all top off's (I have an ATO system so salinity never changes) and water changes. I run GFO in a reactor and change the media every 2 months. I do a 20g water change every 2 weeks. I clean my skimmers neck and collection cup every weekend. I dose ca/alk everyday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom