New 150 gallon tank need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyleallen22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello first time post on these forums.

I've decided to take the plunge and get back into keeping an aquarium. I had a 55g in the past so I'm not completely inexperienced, but have been out of the loop for a while.

Anyway I'm planning on getting a 150 g tank and stocking it lightly with plants a few rocks and a driftwood centerpiece. I want to have a community tank possibly with shrimp, and either a medium-large size centerpiece fish or a shoal of fish that can act as a centerpiece.

My main questions are what stocking schemes would y'all recommend given the above information?

What lights/filters should I get for the tank?

Budget isn't really an issue I'm prepared to spend whatever amount I need to, to make this a truly gorgeous tank.

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Some additional information I plan on using a sand substrate (either white or black) and plan on having a decent sized school of corydoras; number and specific type are undetermined yet. (Recommendations are welcome)

As far as a base for my community fish goes I am liking the looks of lemon tetras but am open to another schooling fish that will pop.

My old setup had black neon and regular neon tetras in it so I would prefer to not include neon tetras this time around. (Though they are a beautiful fish)

I've decided to go with a black sand substrate.

For filtration I plan on running a fluval fx6, I'm aware this is probably overkill for my tank but would rather be over filtered then under. I'm a big fan of the features that come with this filter.

First school of community fish I plan on adding are lemon tetras. Probably 16-24.

I also want to have a large school of corydoras. So far I'm leaning towards the false julii cories, but haven't decided if I should have 1 large school of a single species or 2 medium sized schools of complimenting Cory cats. (Want approximately 10-24 Cory cats total)

Something I was hoping for some help on was, I have been researching plecos and was wondering if plecos/shrimp/corydoras can cohabit peacefully together. If so I'm planning on getting 2-3 queen arabesque plecos as well.

I was also curious about having either discus or gourami in the tank and if the would be a good fit with small schoolers.

Still need to do research on lighting for the tank, and decide what kind of plants to put in it.

Any help is appreciated [emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom