New 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsmith79

Aquarium Advice Freak
IMG_0658[1].jpg

IMG_0657[1].jpg

Hi there new to this site, and to saltwater, just started this 150 not long
ago I have a
Marineland 150 with2 cornerflo's
a proflex model 4 sump
lifeguard quietone return pump
AquaC EV 180 Protien Skimmer
Mag-Drive 7 water pump for skimmer
8 x 39 aquaticlife t5 light
2 Koralia evolution 1400
2 marine land maxijet 900
2 300 watt marineland visatherm heaters

I have the sump set up with a refugium section that is running on a reverse light cycle with live rock rubble, live sand, and chaeto, main tank has 150 pounds of live rock. So far the tank has cycled and I started with4 blue green chromis then added small cuc. Everything is going good so far, I have read tons of threads on this site, just never got around to
starting one or participating. Picked up a lot of good input on here, did a lot of research before I started. Being new to saltwater, just wanted to get feedback on my set-up. Thanks for any input or ideas

Thanks carey thats great to here coming from you i have seen your advice on almost every post i have read on here. Seems like you are very helpful to everyone and know whats going on

Last edited:
Stock list ideas, so far I was thinking about

Purple tang
Naso tang
2 ocellaris clowns
Bi-color angel
Royal gramma
Blue tang (hepatus)
4 chromis

Any ideas?

I am also starting a 150g tank. I have a Mag 7 running my skimmer as well. I will be putting in my water today! Super excited to get water in it today! How long did it take for your water to where you could put your chromis in it & is there any tricks you used? Other than just the basic salt, conditioner etc.?

I have a 125 and run a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 pumps. I would go to two pumps in yours also. More flow is a good thing.

I used Rodi water and instant ocean salt mix, I used 150 pounds of live rock to cycle the tank and cure the live rock, then added the chromis when nitrates, were 2 ppm and ammonia, and nitrites were 0, there were a few water changes in there too, and I don't have my log book right now, but I think it took around 5 weeks, good luck with your new tank. I love mine already, and there isn't even any cool fish yet!

I'm looking for other non-aggressive fish ideas, the tank will have a clean-up crew and ornamental shrimp. Also someday when it's ready an anemone.

I love the true cleaner wrasse... Such a sleek little fish,and fish will actually swim up to him and let him clean

Is that the same as a cleaner common wrasse, or does it have another name. Also I don't have a lid, it looks cool if that's it, but don't wrasse's tend to be jumpers? I've had my eye on a Scotts fairy wrasse, but did not want to cover tank just for 1 fish.

I believe so, you just need to watch out for the false cleaner. The false cleaner looks exactly the same but its lips are downward facing, like a algae eaters. They will rip scales off. You prob wont see one in a store but fogured id give you a heads up. And yes you would prob want lids, not such a bad idea though

I run glass lids for 2 reasons.
1. I have spent way too much money on my fish to not have something protecting them
2. Any aerosol sprays that the tank might be exposed to.

If youre not open to glass tops, you could look into wire reptile style lids, they still hold the fiah in and have an open air style.

Personally speaking ive not experienced one issue with them. Some people experience ph issues and/or water temp issues but its subjective to each tank and circumstances. I also have a 4 year old son so you can imagine the worries the glass tops save me. True story I was moving my light gixture back yesterday and a leg broke... If mot for the tops, I woulda had some seriously dead fish

new fish pictures
its hard to take any pictures without the naso tang in them, he always
comes right up to you when you go to the tank! He also eats right from my hand, i don't know how many pictures of other things he has blocked, but its a lot!IMG_0740[1].jpg

IMG_0739[1].jpg

IMG_0738[1].jpg

IMG_0717[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom