New 20 g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm...it appears you've done everything by the book. The only difference is that the new source of ammonia is from the fish. I am not sure if they release ammonia directly (it might be in the form of urea). But the solid fish waste need to be broken down first. But ammonia is ammonia, right?
Are you still getting ammonia reading greater than zero?
I would continue to monitor it a perform WCs as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I was doing some research and apparently even if you cycle a tank you should stock lightly at first just so the filter can catch up? I have six fish so that's probably why.. Hopefully the mini cycle will only take a couple more days? Another thing is I'm planning on running a second filter because my 20g top fin is not enough... My heater is pretty horrible as it has no temperature increments and I have to keep changing it to get the desired warm or cool water. Any suggestions

I am a firm believer in understocking and in hindsight you may be right on stocking too many first early on.
I would add the second filter and get a different heater. You should not have to adjust it after the initial setup (maybe a little after the first few days).

I think it is a mini cycle 6 can be a lot to add at once especially the smaller the tank. Just watch the levels and do water changes to keep the ammonia down until the mini cycle catches up.

There are some water purifiers that also make ammonia and nitrite safe for 24 hours. Prime is one of them- if you over worry (like me) grab some of that and add that and whatever ammonia is left after the water change will not harm them for 24hr

Okay thanks but here's the problem... I don't have any prime and probably won't get any.. So is it possible to do water changes and still finish the mini cycle? Should I be going at the gravel with the siphon or will I rid the bb...

If it rains soon, leave your bucket outside, let it fill out with Rainwater, and use that. I am pretty sure it works, if it doesn't, someone please correct me then.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the rain water but is it okay to continue water changes and gravel vacuums? I just want to end this mini cycle

Update.. Ammonia is at 0.25 ppm.. My sunset platies seem to be getting streaks of red on them... What do I do????

do a water change they have amonia burn it will heal after water stabilizes

Yeah I just did a 25 pwc... Will continue to do so everyday until the mini cycle is complete. I'm still quite boggled as to why my bio filter cannot handle these fish after extensivly fishless cycling for over a month. I'm really eager to find out when the mini cycle is going to be over. You can say I'm really disappointed with the fishless cycling guide on this forum... Did everything that was supposed to be done patiently and diligently yet my filter is still apparently not strong enough. Ordered 500ml prime, an aqueon 20g filter, and a hydor 100 watt heater.

lol i did a fish in cycle i do not recemend it it was a desaster and my rule is never add more then 3 fish at a time unless it is neon tetras lol

OP - I would not necessarily blame the guide. It has worked successfully for a number of folks. Perhaps the filter used for the cycling was inadequate or this is due to the consistency (or inconsistency) of results obtained from using the test strips versus a liquid based kit.
@lilme - fish in cycles are fine as long as you are diligent with water changes. Testing throughout is a very important part of the process as well as gradual additions as you had mentioned.

Have you checked ph isn't too low? Kind of surprised myself. Fishless cycling at those ammonia levels should of given a bullet proof system.

Is it ok to put rainwater straight into your tank with out prime or anything?

Fish in cycle can be done and done safely- it just takes a lot more work on your part. Lots of testing and water changes.

We had our guppy tank break so we had to do a very quick switch to a new tank. (We had been planning an upgrade eventually but not a rush job from a leak) and we also switched that tank from gravel to sand so we had to do a fish in cycle

Is it ok to put rainwater straight into your tank with out prime or anything?

For topping up tanks should be able to go straight in (I would think same as for a fish pond which has evaporation and rain fall).

For major pwc I'd test ph of rainwater to see if different to tank ph. Also rainwater would be low in minerals (kh, gh) so may need to be remineralised.

Interesting stuff.. Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice thus far.. Ended up doing a 25 pwc again today.. Ammonia was at. 25 ppm. Just out of curiosity, is there a wait time for the dechlorinater to spread in the water before adding it to the tank.. So far I've been just swishing it around in the bucket and adding it in right away. Is it possible that the chlorine wasn't yet removed and thus killed lots of my Bb? Maybe that's the cause of the mini cycle? The fish still have red blotches around the gills, so I'm a little sad for them..lol

Another question. Is Prime absolutely necessary to overcome the mini cycle quickly? I ordered in online, however it's yet to come in a week. Since I'm doing water changes every day, how will the BB get its ammonia source? This whole experience had been disappointing, however I'm determined to do whatever to save my fish.. Thanks once again guys

It will still cycle using prime or say API ammo lock. Might take a little longer.

I dose the water conditioner 2x straight into tank and then fill tank using hose with no issues.

For fry tanks I pre-mix just in case.

Edit - prime isn't strictly needed but it is making the water safe until you do a water change.

Back
Top Bottom