New 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 3 gallon tank currently and received a 20 gallon for Christmas. It's been set up since the 29th of december with all gravel and a hiding place and one plant. No fish yet and I've been reading that I need to do a nitrogen cycle which I'll do one I get home to florida. Currently on vacation in west Virginia. I want to get tiger barbs and a red tip shark with some sort of bottom feeder. What sort of bottom feeder do you recommend? I also was not sure if the tiger barbs and the red tip shark can go together? Any other tips I'll definitely take! My 3 gallon tank currently has two guppies in it and I've been doing fine!

Well the local pet store said those would be just fine. I need 3 barbs at least once I do my nitrogen cycle and then after about a month I can get a bottom feeder. I don't want tiny fish. I'm also thinking of gourami's which they say can go together.

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Well the local pet store said those would be just fine. I need 3 barbs at least once I do my nitrogen cycle and then after about a month I can get a bottom feeder. I don't want tiny fish. I'm also thinking of gourami's which they say can go together.

The local pet store is usually misinformed or just in it for the money. Tiger barbs get a lot bigger than people realize and very nippy especially when kept in small groups and in small tanks.

I agree with Mumma. Tiger Barbs are aggressive and fairly large fish and wouldn't do well in a 20 gal, same with any kind of shark. There are lots of other fish choices for a 20 gal tank, we can help you with some ideas if you like. Most pet/fish store employees just want to make a sale and they don't have the well-being of the fish in mind unfortunately.

I have sadly but for the health of the fish started looking around to pick other fish. Im thinking of cherry barbs and a dwarf gourami, and a few kuil loach. No sure on the spelling. that's what other people have suggested

Back
Top Bottom