New 20g FOWLR build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so as many of you know, Im 13, and my parents didnt want another tank. I want a mandarin! Of course, one of the hardest fish lol. So, I convinced them to let me hook a 20g up to my 150g sump and use it as a display. The 20g is about 15ft away so I had to run tubing to it. I have a pump and then a HOB overflow. I will be getting 2 clowns, 1 mandarin, and POSSIBLY one other fish. How many pounds of rock should I get? I want the amount of rock the be high enough to actually be beneficial for the 150g. Would 35-40 lbs be enough to cancel out the bioload of the fish? The other fish would probably be a dwarf angel so would that amount of rock work? I ordered 2000 amphi/copepods from reefs2go.com and theyre coming on friday.​

If you put 40lbs of rock in the new 20g I don't think there will be much room for the 3 fish you mentioned AND a dwarf angel. In the best of circumstances an angel requires a 30g tank to begin with.

2000 pods is a good start, I would say wait though on the mandarin, for the pods to start to multiply and for them to build up a colony. A mandarin can eat up those 2000 pods in less than a week.

I don't think you will have an issue with bioload as you have this plumbed directly to you 150's sump right?

Wow I completely forgot about the angel lol. And yes it is directly to my sump. How long should I wait for the mandarin? And how many pounds of rocks?

Id say 25 pounds of live rock! As a show tank do you mean its going to be downstairs? Where is your sump?

It's another display tank hooked into the 150 gallons sump. It's connected eith hosed and pumps. Can pods get through that black sponge on pumps? That would he good because I wouldnuave to switch rocks every 2 seconds lol. Can they?

Back
Top Bottom