New 20G tank, stocking advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimenezlee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my buddy is just about to finish cycling a 20G tank. I helped him speed up his cycle with a filter from my 55g and is already making progress through the nitrite spike, he's feeding ammonia to 4ppm daily, and is now thinking of stocking the tank.

Some of his choices are:

red-tailed shark - his favorite, definitely wants one of these
Angel Fish
Betta
Zebra Danio
Gourami
Albino Bristlenose

I can't give too much advice as I keep only angels, so I'm not too familiar with how these species would interact.

He wants to get fish for all 3 layers (top, middle, bottom).

What would you recommend? Suggestions can come from outside this list. Is there any he definitely shouldn't get?

Thanks!

Red-tail - 6 inches
Gourami - 6 inches (Unless it's a dwarf)
Angel fish - 5-6 inches
Bristlenose pleco - 12 inches!

He'd need a much bigger tank if he's planning to get adult fish.
1 Red-tail, 1 gourami, 2 angel fish and 1 pleco would be a good option which is a total of 36 inches and they'd need 55-75 gallons min.

Even if he's getting juveniles, in a couple months he'll need another tank.

Unless you're getting absolute juveniles (couple inches big atm), I'd say don't attempt the combo.

He could get a dwarf gourami, couple zebras and a betta for that tank size. The others will eventually get too big. The zebras can stay pretty small plus so the Angel fish could possibly eat the zebras when they get big.

Yea, by no means is he trying to get the whole list. The bn pleco I thought grew only to 6 inches. Is that incorrect?

That's correct, BN plecos only get to around 4-5 inches, 6 would be a beast.

I do agree that the sharks and angels are better left for a larger tank. If he wants a somewhat large fish go with paradisefish.

A 12" bn plecos would be the lochness monster of bn plecos. I like the super red and calico plecos more than the plain albino if he hasn't seen them. Toodnbecca has them in the classifieds with pics I have 2 they are gorgeous. A pitbull pleco or two would be another good choice for the bottom the are a bit smaller than bn's. For other fish maybe some endlers livebearers or a school of ember tetras I'm drawing a blank on fish right now but ill get back to you if I think of something else

A foot long BN pleco is like the Godzilla of all plecos, which I am probably never going to see.

The betta, danios, and gourami could all work in a twenty gallon.

Back
Top Bottom