new 220 reef ready tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerejohnson

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all i just want to tell everyone that we decided to get a 220 reef ready tank. i have 3 400 watt MH, and a 55 gallon sump. the question is if i fill the sump with a DSB and LR, and put LR in the main tank will that be enough filtration, with a skimmer... i will post picks as soon as it gets in had to special order it lol. also there will be a DSB in the main tank too.

At 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon of water you use that should be fine. Of course you will need powerheads as well to create plenty of current. Make sure there are no dead spots with out current in the tank.

The DSB and LR filter the water in a different way than a skimmer. The only real substitution for a skimmer is increased water changes, lighter fish load and less frequent feedings.

Honestly with that large of a system and the money that your going to be putting into it I would add a skimmer.

jerejohnson said:
i will have a skimmer the question was with enough LR and a skimmer will that be enough filtration

Depends on how much LR you have and your bio-load. Most recommend 1-1.5lbs of rock per gallon. Or to save money you can do some LR and some base rock. The base rock will eventually grow into LR. Awesome tank!! I wish I had somewhere to put a tank that big!

Back
Top Bottom