New 25 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I found a 25 gallon kit at a lfs for 45$ and couldn't pass that up, no clue what I want to put in it yet so any suggestions on stock and what plants go well in a taller tank would help me out big timeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420673334.409795.jpg
Water was just added so it's a little bit cloudy

As always thanks in advance; Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congrats on the new tank. Taller tanks are a bit challenging for planted tanks, but certainly not impossible. Problem is that light penetration to substrate level is reduced significantly. What type of light fixture are you using? Type of bulbs?

Are you keeping the tank on the floor? I suggest putting on a black background, which aids in hiding equipment, makes the plants pop, and adds depth to the aquascape.

But, generally speaking, perhaps some easy low light plants like swords and crypts do well in tall tanks.

I was hoping crypts because my ten gallon is growing them very well right now, it came with an aqueon fluorescent fixture with a daylight and plant growth bulb, I have never used either so idk how well they do, and I don't have a stand so until I finish building one it will be on the floor

I can't seem to find Java moss anywhere around here unfortunately

Have you tried the classifieds on here. I usually see that stuff on there, if not ebay. I've never used aquabid, so I can't recommend that.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a little nervous to order from someone I don't know

I just had a great experience on Aquabid. I got a box stuffed with jungle val for $12 and it prolly would have cost me $50 at my LFS. It's my only experience with Aquabid but I am very pleased. Just check the reviews before you buy

Oh and I second the notion of tall tanks being a challenge. I found a 29 at a garage sale and it's been discouraging.

What has been difficult about it?

In my experience tall tanks are especially difficult because you can't get the light down to the bottom as good as you can with shallow tanks.
So carpeting becomes difficult, and plants of lower heights become more difficult to grow.
That being said buying another light will help. Otherwise you can scape differently, I tie plants off at the top of driftwood pieces, and choose taller plants. I keep angels so this is preferable:)
I like the tall tank look:)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well today is my major tank cleaning and other tank related stuff day, and my 30 g recently went through a catastrophe while I was on holiday.

So I moved some of my plants that were in there to the 25 tallImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420825762.075977.jpg
Sorry the water is a weird color but I read that is common with the Carib sea Eco complete for a few days.

I'm not sure the species of these I know there are a three swords back right, not sure what the two are on the left and that's a fern of some sort from my 10g. Will these be ok in here at least until I get my 30 g up and going again? Or even for the long haul?

Also are these crypts and dhg ok? And are they established enough to trim?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420825940.087149.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420825955.778276.jpg

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated; Ryan

Congrats on the new tank. Taller tanks are a bit challenging for planted tanks, but certainly not impossible. Problem is that light penetration to substrate level is reduced significantly. What type of light fixture are you using? Type of bulbs?

Are you keeping the tank on the floor? I suggest putting on a black background, which aids in hiding equipment, makes the plants pop, and adds depth to the aquascape.

But, generally speaking, perhaps some easy low light plants like swords and crypts do well in tall tanks.

I just realized I completely ignored your question before, sorry for that it's a dual t5 NO fluorescent daylight and plant growth bulb in the fixture

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420928851.700571.jpg

This is the plant and hard scape I plan to use, might swap the rock with some driftwood if I can find some

But now to stock planning

I was thinking maybe German blue or Bolivian cichlids or maybe some angelfish

And opinions would be very much appreciated

How about... red tail shark and 20 neons:)

I just got rid of 15 neons that were in my 30g today :/ they are amazing in large schools like that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked them, how about..
German Blue X 2
Marble hatchets X 6
Albino Bristlenose X2
Rummy nose are also a favorite in the hobby it seems.

You'd have to keep the water at like 80-82

I guess you don't see many hatchets which is why I'd want them. I think cories are cool but I also don't think they do well in really warm water, not too experienced there.
Just my opinion nothing special:)

I've always liked them, how about..
German Blue X 2
Marble hatchets X 6
Albino Bristlenose X2
Rummy nose are also a favorite in the hobby it seems.

You'd have to keep the water at like 80-82

I guess you don't see many hatchets which is why I'd want them. I think cories are cool but I also don't think they do well in really warm water, not too experienced there.
Just my opinion nothing special:)

2 bristle nose plecos may be 1 too many. they are poop machines and I would just go with 1 and get a different fish instead. too much waste for 2 of them in a 25 gallon. I have 2 in a 55 and I get bothered by the amount of waste that accumulates. (y)

I'm not a pleco fan at all, prefer ottos and such much more

Also haven't kept hachets before so I'll have to look up so info on them

I would do a group of Corys
A group of Rummynose
A group of Harlequin Rasboras
Otos

OR

a nice group of Threadfin Rainbows ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420972683.683059.jpg

Cory habrosus ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420972750.705249.jpg

RCS ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420972778.357865.jpg

CPDs ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420972807.260967.jpg

Back
Top Bottom