New 29 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noah0504

Aquarium Advice Regular
After having a 5 gallon tank with a single betta, I wanted to add something that would really stand out and that we would enjoy, so I bought a 29 gallon aquarium and stand. The tank has been running for 3 days and this weekend we thought we would go and pick up a few fish and plants to get everything started.

I've been doing a ton of reading and I think I have a basic understanding of what I need to do to keep my aquarium one lovely place for our future fish.

Through reading, I've found a few different types of fish we would like to eventually have. While some of the cichlids are downright beautiful, I don't think they would work for our tank and some of the other combinations I would like to have. For the spotlight fish, I have my heart set on a regular or dwarf gourami. I love their look and have read that they can be quite the characters in the tank.

I know the number one rule is to start of small (especially when you plan to cycle the tank with starter fish), but I was wondering if it would be feasible to start off with three guppies and one dwarf gourami. If not, I have no problem just picking up a few guppies to get everything started and then later adding a gourami.

I also wanted to know if this sounded like a tank that would work in the future:

1 or 2 dwarf gouramis (probably both female)
3 guppies
5 tetras of some sort
1 or 2 bottom feeders (I really like cories, but the girlfriend doesn't find them as cute as I do, and I don't think the tank is big enough to keep a happy school of them.)

Any other advice would be very welcomed!

you may be hit or miss on the gourami and guppies. Some are ok with guppies and some aren't. I guess it really comes down to the individual fish but a dwarf would certainly be your best bet in this pairing

If doing a fish in cycle I would hold off on the Gourami, they aren't the hardiest fish and probably wouldn't fair the best through it.

personally I'd bump the school of tetras up to 6 or so.

I think you could handle a small shoal of corys. I've only got a 20 and when looking for stocking advice I had a few recommendations on 4-5 corys. Since they are the only bottom dweller they should be ok.

I haven't done a fish in cycle but I think 3 guppies would be ok to start. Just make sure to do daily waters tests and be prepared for lots of PWC. You'll have to wait a few weeks before introducing any other fish and I'f probably do the gourami last.

Sounds good. I only say the dwarf gourami because I think they are quite good looking fish. I've seen and read a lot of tank setups that have them with tetras and guppies (I know it is different in every setup how fish will react with each other), so I thought it would be a nice looking setup.

I guess we'll just pick up a couple plants and guppies today and wait for the tank to cycle.

Thanks for the advice!

I think you could try a DG with the guppies; I'd add the DG last though, let the other fish claim territories first so when the DG comes in he'll be the new guy and it won't be "his" tank that he needs to defend.

For starting the cycle though, I'd just start with the guppies. Then when the cycle finishes add the other fish slowly with the DG last. You might be ok with two females but just make sure they are females (don't count on the LFS being able to sex them correctly).

For a bottom dweller you could do a school of the smaller corys: Panda, dwarf or pygmy. I didn't like the look of Corys much at first either but then I got my Pandas and they are absolutely adorable. Try doing a YouTube search for Panda Cory and show your GF; she might change her mind. :) If not then you could maybe do one smaller pleco, like a bristlenose (Plecos need driftwood to munch on though); just make sure it's not a Common as they grow huge.

I'd also increase the tetra school to at least 6, but it would depend on what size tetra too.

Sounds good. I only say the dwarf gourami because I think they are quite good looking fish. I've seen and read a lot of tank setups that have them with tetras and guppies (I know it is different in every setup how fish will react with each other), so I thought it would be a nice looking setup.

I guess we'll just pick up a couple plants and guppies today and wait for the tank to cycle.

Thanks for the advice!

I love dwarfs too! They are fun to watch and the coloring is so nice.

Library girl has a good suggestion with getting everyone first and adding the gourami last. I think it's worth a shot at least.

Well, we made a trip to browse plants and fish today and did make a purchase. Instead of guppies, we bought platys. It's kind of a long story why we ended up with them, but they do look beautiful and are currently enjoying their new home.

However, I am a little concerned. After they were in the tank, I got to looking at them closely and I think there is only one female among a group of 5 (they were $5 for 5 if you bought that many). Also, I'm pretty sure the female is pregnant. I guess we will see how things go.

I was only going to get about 3 fish of the same type, but with the price, we got the 2 extra. I hope this doesn't prove to be too much.

I also picked up a test kit, so I can keep an eye on everything in the tank. It tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. After the tank has cycled and everything seems to be going well, I want to add a group of tetras. Then, the last thing I will add is 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis.

Hi welcome to the forum!
First off your tank probably hasn't cycled for long enough , there is too much ammonia, nitrates and stuff like that. If you plan on doing a fish-in cycle start with guppies I think they're the hardiest out of the lot.
I wouldn't do female DG because they lack colour and are hard to find. I've got 3 but I have 2 males with them. And plus I have a really good aquatics store near me.
Here's what I would do.

3 Honey Gouramis 1M 2F
4 guppies 3F 1M
6 panda cories
10 cherry shrimp
8 chilli Rasboras or cardinal tetra or harlequin Rasboras .

Leave it at that .... For a while.

Hope I helped :)

Okay now ive read your last post cut out the guppies and the the school or Rasboras , tetras and you should be alright

Well, that sounds like I can stick to my plan then. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom