New 29 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adelinamz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last year we tried setting up a 29 gallon tank and all the fish ended up dying...I've no idea why as I followed all advice given on this forum and in my online research. After months of staring at an empty tank, we're trying again. So far so good... We set the tank up in early January and just let it run for 2-3 weeks. Then we bought 3 cherry barbs. 8 days later we bought 5 sunset platies. 2.5 weeks later (this past Thu) we bought a plecostamus and two baby angel fish. Is this the maximum the tank can handle or can we add a few more fish in a couple of weeks if all is well? Thanks in advance!

adelinamz said:
Last year we tried setting up a 29 gallon tank and all the fish ended up dying...I've no idea why as I followed all advice given on this forum and in my online research. After months of staring at an empty tank, we're trying again. So far so good... We set the tank up in early January and just let it run for 2-3 weeks. Then we bought 3 cherry barbs. 8 days later we bought 5 sunset platies. 2.5 weeks later (this past Thu) we bought a plecostamus and two baby angel fish. Is this the maximum the tank can handle or can we add a few more fish in a couple of weeks if all is well? Thanks in advance!

Thats about the max-

2 Angels ~12"
3 Cherries ~7"
5 Platys ~12"
1 Pleco (depending on what type) ~5-20"

I would say you are maxed out. Cherries like schoals, so I would add 3 more, and possibly sell back the angel.
Others will chime in with better opinions

The 2 baby angelfish will grow, and as they mature, one will most likely beat the other one up. They are cichlids, and are territorial when they mature. The sunset platies will probably breed, producing nice food for the angel/s. If the pleco was inexpensive, it's probably a common pleco, which will outgrow the tank in time, probably a year or more, depending on how fast it grows. It will need to be fed spirulina wafers, and occaisonally some fresh veggies. Zuchini and cucumbers are great for plecos.

i am inclined to agree. The angels will become very territorial as they grow.

As for the pleco, i would return that as well and either get a bulldog pleco (AKA rubbermouth), or a Bristlenose pleco or an albino BN pleco. They stay smaller and do a great job.

You will definately need 3-6 more cherry barbs as they will potentially start to get mean towards the other fish. I have always found barb species to be extremely agressive in a lot of cases.

SerLunchbox said:
i am inclined to agree. The angels will become very territorial as they grow.

As for the pleco, i would return that as well and either get a bulldog pleco (AKA rubbermouth), or a Bristlenose pleco or an albino BN pleco. They stay smaller and do a great job.

You will definately need 3-6 more cherry barbs as they will potentially start to get mean towards the other fish. I have always found barb species to be extremely agressive in a lot of cases.

Cherrys are less aggressive than tigers, but can always be agressive.

I would go with-

6 Cherry Barbs ~14"
5 Platys ~12"
1 Angel ~6"
1 Rubbernosed pleco ~3" (And they are FAST!)

Thats ~35".... should be good with a good filter (as those fish- except angels- arent TOO dirty).

Thanks for the replies! So, other than the crowding issue, it's not possible to keep more than one angel fish? I just read at elmersaquarium site that angels do best with 3 or more--says they're less likely to pick on other fish. Should I get a third (I really like angels) and return some of the other fish if 3 is too many for the tank?

Would the pleco do ok in an outdoor pond (I'm in Phoenix, AZ)? I'm sure it's too big for the 29 gal if it's going to grow to 20"! I called the fish store guy and he said it would grow to at least 12"--still too big...

adelinamz said:
Thanks for the replies! So, other than the crowding issue, it's not possible to keep more than one angel fish? I just read at elmersaquarium site that angels do best with 3 or more--says they're less likely to pick on other fish. Should I get a third (I really like angels) and return some of the other fish if 3 is too many for the tank?

Would the pleco do ok in an outdoor pond (I'm in Phoenix, AZ)? I'm sure it's too big for the 29 gal if it's going to grow to 20"! I called the fish store guy and he said it would grow to at least 12"--still too big...
I dont know about the pond.... maybe? (others can chime)

I have read that angels do well in groups too, but 3 would be way to big for a 30 gallon. However, 2 angels are ok if they are a mated pair.... they actually comprise of less terrotories and space due to that. So maybe ya got lucky with that..... your current setup is ok.... i would ditch the pleco and get a smaller one and again, get a couple more barbs.

Make sure your filter is good. Also, if you add a few live plants, that should help with your oxygen release (and maybe allow 1-2" more of fish). Try some easy ones like java ferns (they are pretty too)

Ok... I'll see about exchanging the pleco for a smaller one and get a couple more cherry barbs. As for live plants, I did just buy an underwater bamboo. I'll see about trying the ferns you suggest--I've not tried live plants yet... Any things to consider? Thanks for the reply! amz

Back
Top Bottom