New 30 gal long... tiger barb advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a new 30 gal long. Done fish less cycle and just added 3 then 4, for new total of 7 to the tank... can I add anything else or is that enough... was thinking of adding some Cory... was wondering if I could add some corys and still add either some more tiger barbs or perhaps a school of cherry barbs... thoughts comments?

Tiger barbs are a particularly nippy species.

Corydora might do okay with plenty of hiding places.

Caleb

I have herd of ppl keeping corys with tiger barbs... do you think I should stick with tiger barbso and how many can live comfortable in a 30 long?.

Personally, I'd stick with just barbs. 7 is good, maybe a couple more. But I tend to keep tanks under-stocked, as I find them easier to care for and more restful to watch.

Really? Just 7 tiger barbs in a 30 gal tank... like.... NOTHING else? ... kinda bare... no?

That does sound extremely bare.. Your tank is 36" long right?

You could do 15 tiger barbs if you just wanted those(there are lots of color variations), or you could add a 2-3 kribs or Acaras...

Zebra danios would work well with tiger barbs as well...

I'd say plug your tank specs into AqAdvisor and see what comes up. Tigers can be nippy but with enough hiding places you could most likely have either a group of cories or a small plec. Are there other fish you're interested in or are you set on the tigers?

All I really want is activity and color... open to different species... I do like pleco tho and I was thinking only tigers with perhaps a bristolnose pleco. But I just want all fish to be happy. different colors of tiger barbs... Dainos can be cool also... now I just need to work on a good combination.

I'd say plug your tank specs into AqAdvisor and see what comes up. Tigers can be nippy but with enough hiding places you could most likely have either a group of cories or a small plec. Are there other fish you're interested in or are you set on the tigers?

I do like the Tigers and would like a bottom feeder such as as bristolnose plec. Ideal would be tigers, Zebra danios, and as plec... some combo of that

IMO the key to keeping tigers is the #s.
Get double digits or watch them slowly kill themselves and everything else in tank.
Maybe not even so slow??
They are not a nice fish.
Proper keeping is necessary unless you won the fish lottery!

Agreed, there more tiger barbs the better! You could do:

10 tiger barbs
6 danios
1 pleco

I've not kept tiger barbs with swordtails, I wonder if that would work? Swordtails are very colorful fish, I love them!

What kind of filter are you using on the tank?

Really? Just 7 tiger barbs in a 30 gal tank... like.... NOTHING else? ... kinda bare... no?

Maybe a bad assumption on my part that there are also plants and/or other decorations, not just fish, and that the tiger barbs will soon grow close to their max size (3" or so?). I don't feel like that tank would seem empty unless the barbs spent all day hiding in the bushes.

Guess I just don't care for the Wall o' Fish look. Crowds make me anxious, and I find that crowded tanks are exhausting to watch. Somehow it doesn't feel natural. I like giving everyone lots of elbow room :fish2:

Clearly I'm in the minority on this, which is fine :cool: Not my tank, after all.

Maybe a bad assumption on my part that there are also plants and/or other decorations, not just fish, and that the tiger barbs will soon grow close to their max size (3" or so?). I don't feel like that tank would seem empty unless the barbs spent all day hiding in the bushes.

Guess I just don't care for the Wall o' Fish look. Crowds make me anxious, and I find that crowded tanks are exhausting to watch. Somehow it doesn't feel natural. I like giving everyone lots of elbow room :fish2:

Clearly I'm in the minority on this, which is fine :cool: Not my tank, after all.

As far as natural is concerned, you are actually quite correct though the school may be larger.

Caleb

Agreed, there more tiger barbs the better! You could do:

10 tiger barbs
6 danios
1 pleco

I've not kept tiger barbs with swordtails, I wonder if that would work? Swordtails are very colorful fish, I love them!

What kind of filter are you using on the tank?

That sounds fun or perhaps just the tigers and pleco to keep everyone happy... I am running a 45 gal capacity fulval canister filter on a 36 inch 30 gal tank

IMO the key to keeping tigers is the #s.
Get double digits or watch them slowly kill themselves and everything else in tank.
Maybe not even so slow??
They are not a nice fish.
Proper keeping is necessary unless you won the fish lottery!
True huh I will keep that in mind... they are not nice fish... cause good, I like lots of tigers could be cool
Was thinking 12 to 13 tiger barbs and a bristolnose pleco

Yes I agree, I don't want overcrowding but I also don't want the tigers to kill each other lol, and I do have some plants but not many... there are lots of room for the tigers to swim arround... 10 to 13 sounds like a good number since that will be the only species in there besides a pleco

Back
Top Bottom