New 36 Gallon Bow Front, but have a couple ???'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I got a 36 Gallon Bow Front. My plan was to transer the 2 platy's, 2 mollies, and snail I current have in a 10 gallon tank last night. And I got 4 albino cory cats last night and was going to put them in the 10 gallon cycled tank. But I found out that my wife had sold my 10 gallon tank already and the buyers were picking it up today. :facepalm: So I had no choice but to put all the fish into the new tank. I took about 2 1/2 hours to get the cory used to the water (adding a little of the cycled tank water every so oftern). I used the water, gravel, plants and decor from the 10 gallon tank in the new tank. This morning when I woke up all the fish were doing fine and seemed to be loving the new tank. Do you think they will all make it???

I had a question with the heater though. I purchase a Top Fin 200 watt heater and I currently have it in the back corner. I was wondering where is the suggested spot in the tank to place the heater so it works the best????? My tank this moring was at a 75 degree (F). My thermometer is on the opposite side of the tank from the heater. I just want to make sure the tank is staying at a consist temperature.

My fututre stocking goal is to add: 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 snails, and the about 7-8 schooling fish. I would like any suggestion on which schooling fish to get. I was considering either Fancy Guppy's or Danio Zebra's. But I am open to suggestions. I also want to add an Angelfish, I just absolutely think they are the coolest fish. But not sure if it will work out or not.....

I think you could do the livestock you mentioned at the end, and add maybe a pair of angels with room to spare. I wouldn't over do it though. Remember, have as many inches of fish as gallons of water. (or less)

Thanks, any recommendations where to place the heater? I have read to have it near moving water (by the filter)...so I am think i may move it toward the center of the tank....any thoughts??

put it one the opposite side of the filter. ( normally everyone puts filter on right and heater on left)

It may not be a bad idea to have 2 heaters. I have a 30g, at first I only had on, it was for 30g tanks and adjustable. It did fine until it started getting colder then one day I checked the thermometer and my temp was down in the mid 70's when I normally kept it atleast at 78. Now I have a pre set heater for a 30-60g tanks on one side and my adjustable heater on the other side. That has kept the temperature more stable all over the tank. Just something to consider :)

Thanks. I will definitely see how it goes and take that into consideration. Thanks again.

Your stock if your current fish and the gourami and 8 zebra danios (or a few guppies as they have a higher bioload you couldn't do as many) and a single angel is do-able. It might be pushing it a bit but it should be fine. I wouldn't do two angels though.

Try the heater in the middle.

Thanks!!!
When i got home from work the temp was still around the 75-78 degrees so i am just going to give it a couple days where i have it and see how it does.
And good to know about the stocking options. Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom