new 38 gallon :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a new 38 gallon tank for christmas :D I want to cycle it quicker by putting some of the media from my 10g into it. my question is what is the media and how do you transfer it ? thanks :D

Well the filter media is to big to swap :( My dad had an idea though. Could i switch the filters for a day or so and then switch back? Then would it be cycled?

no, but you can take the filter that's too large and cut it up, it won't hurt anything on it, just don't keep it out of the water too long.

Just keep testing the water and onces everything seems right, everything zero except nitrites at around 40 and pH around 6-8. You should be able to get those fish in there.

Just keep testing the water and onces everything seems right, everything zero except nitrites at around 40 and pH around 6-8. You should be able to get those fish in there.

NO! Nitrites at around 40 is extremely high and will kill the fish in no time. Nitrates around 40 is better, but I wouldn't want anything over 20 in my tanks. Generally I shoot for 10 ppm of nitrates. pH won't matter unless you are trying to breed or have a finicky species such as CRS/CBS which can die if the water is alkaline.

Mike, you will want to put something in the tank right away to keep the tank cycled if you transfer over the media to the new tank. I'd decide what you want in the tank and then I'd add something from that list. Most likely you'll have some kind of tertra on the list so I'd put a school of 10-15 in there to keep the tank cycled.

Back
Top Bottom