New 40 Gal tank setup, HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently bought a 40 gal tank for 25$ I currently have a 30 gal and I know a little about setting up a fish tank. The thing is IDK what kind of equipment to get! Filter, heater, lid ( mine has no lid) light ect. I plan on getting java fern. Also I need help on stocking it! I like a school or two of tetras and I want to breed Platys. I'm not too big on large finned fish (guppies betas ect) so please help! I also might want some algae eaters that aren't plecos. Thanks
-Brox

Recently bought a 40 gal tank for 25$ I currently have a 30 gal and I know a little about setting up a fish tank. The thing is IDK what kind of equipment to get! Filter, heater, lid ( mine has no lid) light ect. I plan on getting java fern. Also I need help on stocking it! I like a school or two of tetras and I want to breed Platys. I'm not too big on large finned fish (guppies betas ect) so please help! I also might want some algae eaters that aren't plecos. Thanks
-Brox
Before I begin, I would like to say that this is going to be one of my longest posts ever.

For a filter I would check out the AquaClear 110, as this brand/model finds favor with many on this site, and isn't that expensive. Number two option is the Marineland Penguin 350 or the Marineland Emperor 400, but this brand tends to fall out of favor due to the fact that it can be noisy at times. In my experience taking the impeller out of the impeller housing, gently cleaning it with a clean cloth, then firmly placing it back into the housing tends to make it much less noisy. The third option is the most impractical and pricey in my opinion. It is the canister filter. A good one is in the $100.00 range, and my philosophy is that canister filters should be used with aquariums 75 gallons and larger. But that's always your call. If all else fails, stay away from popular brands such as Tetra, for these are low quality and are quite noisy as well in my experience. Just be careful.

For heaters your best bet would be the Aqueon Pro series heaters, as these are good quality and are made of plastic, so they are shatter-resistant. Again I do not like the Tetra brand, for the new models of heaters from Tetra are unreliable (Believe me, I know) and unsafe. I hope I don't sound biased against Tetra, they make other very good products.

Lights are debatable. Since it looks like you are going into planted, I would suggest a dual-bulb T5 fixture for the proper lighting. Those who are more experienced in lights will chime in though.

Lids are not too hard to decide from. I personally like the glass over the plastic ones, because my higher temperature fixtures actually warped the plastic ones away. The versa-top ones are popular and a good option.

Substrate is indifferent, and even high-tech planted tanks don't always use those expensive brands such as Eco-Complete and the like, so it's mainly up to you. Gravel is most popular, and that's what most people start out with. If you want something different go for PFS (Pool Filter Sand) which can be a beige or white or possibly other colors too. I do not like the paving sand or the play sand, as these ARE aquarium safe, but are messy and will need to be thoroughly cleaned (Like one hour or longer) before they are safe for aquarium use, and may STILL cloud your water. Substrate boils down to personal preference.

My fingers are getting tired, so I'll leave it up to the others to give you ideas on stocking.

One other note is that I hope you know about cycling your tank. If you have another tank (Which I think you do) then take the filter cartridge on your 30 gallon and put that into your new filter. The reason is the beneficial bacteria are growing and reproducing it your filter media, and there really isn't too many BB (beneficial bacteria) in super-new tanks. Here's a quick explanation on what goes on it a cycle:
Fish poo/uneaten food/decaying plant matter converts into fish-deadly ammonia. But fear not! A type of BB arrives to save the day, and they eat the ammonia and excrete nitrite. Unfortunately nitrite is also deadly to fish, and needs to be converted again. So the nitrite-eating BB arrive to finish the job. They eat it up to convert it into nitrate, which is much less harmful, and is removed by regular water changes before it reaches harmful levels.

To test all of these levels, please use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, as the test strips are much less reliable and I wouldn't recommend them.

I hope I helped! (If I helped, see that "Thanks" button? Push it, and I'd much appreciate it! :) )

phoenixkiller said:
Before I begin, I would like to say that this is going to be one of my longest posts ever.

For a filter I would check out the AquaClear 110, as this brand/model finds favor with many on this site, and isn't that expensive. Number two option is the Marineland Penguin 350 or the Marineland Emperor 400, but this brand tends to fall out of favor due to the fact that it can be noisy at times. In my experience taking the impeller out of the impeller housing, gently cleaning it with a clean cloth, then firmly placing it back into the housing tends to make it much less noisy. The third option is the most impractical and pricey in my opinion. It is the canister filter. A good one is in the $100.00 range, and my philosophy is that canister filters should be used with aquariums 75 gallons and larger. But that's always your call. If all else fails, stay away from popular brands such as Tetra, for these are low quality and are quite noisy as well in my experience. Just be careful.

For heaters your best bet would be the Aqueon Pro series heaters, as these are good quality and are made of plastic, so they are shatter-resistant. Again I do not like the Tetra brand, for the new models of heaters from Tetra are unreliable (Believe me, I know) and unsafe. I hope I don't sound biased against Tetra, they make other very good products.

Lights are debatable. Since it looks like you are going into planted, I would suggest a dual-bulb T5 fixture for the proper lighting. Those who are more experienced in lights will chime in though.

Lids are not too hard to decide from. I personally like the glass over the plastic ones, because my higher temperature fixtures actually warped the plastic ones away. The versa-top ones are popular and a good option.

Substrate is indifferent, and even high-tech planted tanks don't always use those expensive brands such as Eco-Complete and the like, so it's mainly up to you. Gravel is most popular, and that's what most people start out with. If you want something different go for PFS (Pool Filter Sand) which can be a beige or white or possibly other colors too. I do not like the paving sand or the play sand, as these ARE aquarium safe, but are messy and will need to be thoroughly cleaned (Like one hour or longer) before they are safe for aquarium use, and may STILL cloud your water. Substrate boils down to personal preference.

My fingers are getting tired, so I'll leave it up to the others to give you ideas on stocking.

One other note is that I hope you know about cycling your tank. If you have another tank (Which I think you do) then take the filter cartridge on your 30 gallon and put that into your new filter. The reason is the beneficial bacteria are growing and reproducing it your filter media, and there really isn't too many BB (beneficial bacteria) in super-new tanks. Here's a quick explanation on what goes on it a cycle:
Fish poo/uneaten food/decaying plant matter converts into fish-deadly ammonia. But fear not! A type of BB arrives to save the day, and they eat the ammonia and excrete nitrite. Unfortunately nitrite is also deadly to fish, and needs to be converted again. So the nitrite-eating BB arrive to finish the job. They eat it up to convert it into nitrate, which is much less harmful, and is removed by regular water changes before it reaches harmful levels.

To test all of these levels, please use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, as the test strips are much less reliable and I wouldn't recommend them.

I hope I helped! (If I helped, see that "Thanks" button? Push it, and I'd much appreciate it! :) )

THANK YOU A LOT, I was thinking about getting a aqua clear and probably will, I'll look more into lights. Thanks for the cycling tips, I'm newish to that. Ill use my other tanks cartridge and maybe get some chemicals and most likely suicidal cycling fish.

THANK YOU A LOT, I was thinking about getting a aqua clear and probably will, I'll look more into lights. Thanks for the cycling tips, I'm newish to that. Ill use my other tanks cartridge and maybe get some chemicals and most likely suicidal cycling fish.
I am against chemicals personally, such as those supposed cycled starters. The BB in those bottles are not the same as growing in the tank, so it will
cause you a lot of trouble in the long run. Just my two cents.

phoenixkiller said:
I am against chemicals personally, such as those supposed cycled starters. The BB in those bottles are not the same as growing in the tank, so it will
cause you a lot of trouble in the long run. Just my two cents.

Alright what do you suggest? Suicide/cycle fish, or will the cartridge do fine? Also what chemicals do I need to put into a tank to get rid of tap water substances? Thanks for your help guys!

Alright what do you suggest? Suicide/cycle fish, or will the cartridge do fine? Also what chemicals do I need to put into a tank to get rid of tap water substances? Thanks for your help guys!
The cartridge will do IMO. I recommend Seachem Prime for the water conditioner, it lasts forever and can temporarily detoxify ammonia.

Thanks again for your help. Will the 110 be too much for my tank. Will it effect fish? Also anyone have stocking ideas?

Thank you for your time Phoenix it helped!

Back
Top Bottom