New 40 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I'm starting over on a 40 gal. tank. I really want to get telescope goldfish. I want at least 2 but will do more if there is an acceptable amount of room. Any ideas for substrate or decor?

I think 2 is fine for a 40 gallon. Is it a standard 40 or a breeder? And any decor you would like..goldfish don't really "use" decor like many other species of fish..so it's really your call, same goes for substrate.

It's a standard. Hexagon shaped and tall. I heard that telescope goldfish can easily scratch their eyes in decoration though.

It's a standard. Hexagon shaped and tall. I heard that telescope goldfish can easily scratch their eyes in decoration though.

Oh, a hex..I think you're still fine with 2. And yeah..you don't want anything too sharp or something that impedes too much on their swimming area.

Do you think I'd have room for anymore or would thy overcrowd them?

I'm not sure..I'm not a golfish guy haha. I think the "rule" for fancy type goldfish is 20gallon for 1 and 10 gallon for one after that.. maybe with it being a hex you could (Idk how tall it is) but if it's wide and you have good filtration..you could maybe do one more?

I need to get a new filter because they don't make the carbon cartridges for the one I have anymore. But here's what it looks like.

image-3191331447.jpg

I need to get a new filter because they don't make the carbon cartridges for the one I have anymore. But here's what it looks like.

That does look quite old lol. You should over filtrate on your new tank..especially with goldfish. I would recommend almost double what the tank is. Ex. Fluval 70, I have one on my 40 along with a Top Fin 40 filter that came with it. The 40 will be going on my cichlid tank soon, but yup.

Everyone has different views on filters..so it's hard to say. You could go a bunch of different routes lol.

I just purchased a Fluval Aquaclear 70 (C i think?) and like it alot so far.

How tall is this tank? Yes, you should avoid any sharp, pointed, jagged or rough decor with fancies. This includes plastic plants. If an item snags on pantyhose, it may snag or injure delicate eyes or fins. Opt for real plants or silk items. Avoid anything confined or tight as goldfish can and will get stuck or trapped.

In respect to substrate, a sand is much easier to maintain with messy Goldie's. Gravel can pose choking risks unless it's quite large. Or bare bottom (even easier to keep clean). Filtration should be minimum of 10x the tank size. So, for a 40g, 400gph filter is the minimum- more is better! Please ask if you have questions! :)

I'm a noob when it comes to goldfish, but everything I've read states to look at gallons per hour rather than tank size for filters and to do a minimum of 10x tank size to water movement.

As has already been said, you want at least 400 gph for a 40. As far as type of filter, I do know that goldies need well oxygenated water so the waterfall effect of an HOB is a good thing, but they also need major filtration so a canister is also good. If you can afford it, I would go with one of each.

Back
Top Bottom