New 40gal Freshwater. Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flash081

Aquarium Advice Activist
Figured I'd do an update for anyone interested! 7/24
I'm starting to get everything figured out and I think I know where I'm going (vaguely)

40g Long (48x12x17), Marineland Penquin 200, AC50, F20T12 20 watt 24" bulbs, and a long blue bubbler that I had left over (not sure what kind looks like a long,slim blue brick with a granular strip on top).

Substrate: Pool Filter Sand
-I've heard good, bad, and indifferent on every type of sand and I finally decided on this after reading countless threads.
--I know I don't want thick, jagged substrate because of my cory's and Rams or Apistos

Plants: Amazon Swords, Java Fern, Water Sprite, and maybe some Java Moss.
-Easy to manage in low light with low maintenance.
--Not sure how I want to set them up.
--- (Still a little under-informed on how to physically plant all of them. I know a little about stringing the Java Fern to a log and basically just letting the Water Sprite float but otherwise you could say I'm "in over my head". ...see what I did there?...haha...hah...ha...h...okay on with it.

Fish:
Top- Zebra Danio + Glo Danio. Around 12 total maybe more.
Middle- Rummy-Nose Tetra. Around 10
Middle/Bottom- 1 (maybe 3) Bolivian Ram OR 1 (maybe 2/3) Apisto
Bottom- Cory's (Not sure what species yet because I like too many. For some weird reason I really like albino because of how odd they are.) Around 6

Decor: I'm looking to get a piece of Mopani from our LFS or from someone with extra here =], the live plants, A few rocks I have that a friend had in his tank with oscars (does that heavily effect pH?), and a couple plastic pieces (pvc tunnel, piece of wood, and a little multicolor cave.)

Last edited:
Welcome to the site :)

Before I forget to mention it...have you given much thought to how you plan to cycle your tank? A healthy bio-filter is the most important aspect of fish keeping. The guide and FAQ in my signature is a good place to start :)

You've got some beautiful fish you're considering, but personally I'm not sure it's the best combination. For starters, with the exception of the Tetras, you'll have all bottom dwelling species.

IMO, the key to a beautiful tank is to have all levels filled. My personal taste is to have fish like Danios who spend a lot of time at the surface, middle dwelling fish like different Tetras or Cherry Barbs, bottom dwellers like Corys and a centerpiece fish.

I've also heard horror stories of mixing the different species you like. My Bolivian Ram tolerates my Panda Corys...but when you have all those dwarf Cichlids at the bottom of the tank competing for food...it'll be a dangerous place for Corys to live IMO. I've also heard a few bad occurrences of Gouramis with Cichlids. Sexing Dwarf Cichlids can also be difficult with some species...and even if you got all of the same sex there is the possibility they simply wont get along.

The plants you like are not demanding, so choosing substrate and lighting will be your personal preference. In my 46 gallon I've got numerous plants including Water Sprite I have both floating and planted.

Again, welcome to the site and remember to cycle your tank! :)

Last edited:
Once again eco has saved someone from newbie mistakes;) lol but ya I was gonna say have cycled? And I'm no expert on stocking but I agree with eco those fish don't seem to fit together you should definitely re-think it. And listen to eco he's very helpful:)

Yes I plan to cycle it fish free for about 6-8 weeks before i put in any fish.
I'll introduce those with a group every week or so until i fill it.
THANK YOU, for the advice on the dwellings of the fish.
I will definitely re-think and post again soon what I'm thinking!

Flash081 said:
Yes I plan to cycle it fish free for about 6-8 weeks before i put in any fish.
I'll introduce those with a group every week or so until i fill it.
THANK YOU, for the advice on the dwellings of the fish.
I will definitely re-think and post again soon what I'm thinking!

Good choice :). Just make sure that by "fish free" you are referring to actual fishless cycling where you are introducing an ammonia source (bottle of pure ammo, raw shrimp, fish food, etc...). The pet store version of "cycling" isn't even remotely close to what is involved. Read over the article in my signature and ask any questions you have :). If you do a fishless cycle like is instructed in the guide...you have the option to introduce a very large % of your fish initially after the cycle is done.

I'll keep my eye out for other ideas you come up with for stocking. :)

Would this work

10- Celestial Danio
8- Red Phantom Tetra
6- Cory cats
2- Bolivian Rams

I really like the rams for some reason and am trying to work them in. If I should take them out all together I can do that too and ad a centerpiece like a single angel?

Yea i meant fishless cycling. I read through your guide and like that a lot. You made a believer out of me so I will follow that =]. Thank you

I was also thinking:
Top: Danios, Harlequin Rasbora, or Rainbowfish
Mid: Phantom Tetra, Tiger Barb, or HiFin Serpae Tetra
Mid-Bot: Bolivian Rams
Bot: Cory Cats

Last edited:
Would this work

10- Celestial Danio
8- Red Phantom Tetra
6- Cory cats
2- Bolivian Rams

I really like the rams for some reason and am trying to work them in. If I should take them out all together I can do that too and ad a centerpiece like a single angel?

Yea i meant fishless cycling. I read through your guide and like that a lot. You made a believer out of me so I will follow that =]. Thank you

I was also thinking:

I would highly recommend you add a second AC50 for a 40 gal.

Celestial pearl danios are very small timid fish that do best with other "nano" fish so, I would avoid them. I would replace them with something else that will swim up top, since the rest of your stock list will be mostly in the mid - bottom sections of the tank.

Okay will do on the second AC50.
Would H. Rasbora be good for the top?

Flash081 said:
Would this work

10- Celestial Danio
8- Red Phantom Tetra
6- Cory cats
2- Bolivian Rams

I was also thinking:

I think you're more on the right track :). I've never kept CPD's, but my friend that has them says they are very shy and spend most of their time hiding. I don't believe they do well with overly active fish from what I've heard.

You can never go wrong with having Corys (as long as everyone else is compatible). They'll be the highlight of almost any tank you put them in.

Serape Tetras and Tiger Barbs are two species I personally don't care for. They both have a reputation for being particularly nippy, and if your goal is a nice, peaceful community tank...they don't always fit into the equation.

Danios are always a fantastic choice. They're super active and entertaining, and if you're into them...Glofish are a type of Danio which are very colorful and add some great life to your tank. They'll also hang out with other Danios like Leopards, Zebras, etc,,,

I did a good deal of research on Bolivian Rams before I got mine...and I decided to go with a single one. It simply removes the potential for aggression from a mating pair, or disputes between the same sex. They can still serve as a beautiful centerpiece fish and are perfectly happy to be on their own.

Once your tank is cycled and ready to stock...we have two members here (Severum Mama and HN1) who are basically our AA fish store. They carry tons of beautiful fish and I can tell you from experience they are the healthiest and happiest fish you'll find. They have an updated stock list in the classifieds section of the site with pictures to check out and give you some ideas :)

Okay, we'll narrow this down eventually =].
Btw, I really appreciate all the help!!!

12- H. Rasbora
10- RPT
6- Cory (i've found I really like Melini, but I assume they're hard to come by)
1- Bolv. Ram.

We're gettin' there thanks for bearing with me

Actually I think there might be a tempature compatiblity issue between the RPT and the rams. I'm not sure..I would research the tetra a bit. I think they need cooler water than the rams.

I also recommend ordering from Severum mama and HN1. I just got some kerri tetras and cochu's blue tetras from them that are really beautiful. If you aren't familiar with those you should check them out. I also got a gorgeous apisto from them. They have the bolivian rams as well. And plants. :)

I looked it up and if I keep the tank right around 24C all of them should be happy =].
And i just now looked through their most recent stock and OMG they are all beautiful.
I LOVE LOVE their boliv ram juvies. Also, their apisto is to die for.

Those two that you mentioned are great! I have a weird attraction to red, but that blue makes me reconsider ^(*.*)^

Well get the apisto for your red fix! lol He is really amazing. I've been just sitting and watching him a lot. So beautiful. I can't get over him.

The Cochu's tetra are so beautiful. It's like a photo can't really capture their colors. They are more than just blue. Must be my favorite tetra now!

I also got some of those purple passion danios from them and they are quite lovely as well. :)

haha, I wish I could! I still have to cycle the tank and decide on a final stock list.
Would the Apisto go well with the BR?

I am trying it. Right now I have them in seperate QT tanks but they will be going together in my 55 gal. I have a bolivian and a gold ram, both of which I think (and hope) are females. I wanted to have a GBR with them as well, but sadly I can't seem to keep one alive. So it will be the two rams, the apisto, and I'll also probably add a couple angels. It's risky. It may or may not work. I'm able to accomodate all the fish whether or not they work in the same tank, so I'm going to try it. If this is your only tank, you may want to play it a little safer. I'm just not sure..two dwarf cichlids in a 40 gal sounds reasonable to me, but I don't have the personal experience to say for sure. If I were you, I would PM Severum mama and get her input. :)

These are my latest thoughts on stocking:
1-Apisto
1- Bolv. Ram
6- Cory Cats
10- Red Phantom Tetra
12- H. Rasbora (Or another Rasbora like Phoenix)

Would this be compatible?
I know I had two of each in my original stock list and Eco said to watch out for too many bottom feeders.
Would it be okay if I had just one of each or should I avoid putting them both in all together?
I could use some suggestions on what to put in/take out as I don't think the tank is fully stocked with what I have.
Also, I still don't think it's too balanced with the amount of mid/bot fish I have. I just simply don't know a lot of other species that dwell near the top =O.
I think H.Rasboras are more towards the top, but if I'm correct they also like to swim around the mid section which puts me at loss again.
I really like Glofish Danio, but are those like the Celestial being too small and timid to go in with my other fish?

I went around to my local petstore today to see what they had and I found that I actually really love rammynose tetra and a few danio (mainly glo and zebra). They also had juvie Bolv Ramies which made me happy. So this is what I'm thinking now.

10-12- Danio mix between glo(when i can afford a few) and zebra
8-10 rammynose tetra
6- Corys
1-Bolv. Ram

I'm not sure that this is fully stocked, but i really like all the fish and I think they all could go together?
What are some thoughts from the awesome AA community?
-What can I add?
-What should I change?
-Insight into other species who might look good =]?

Also thinking about getting two Apisto's (pref cacatuoidas) instead of the Ram. Any thoughts on that?
I ask a lot of questions :/

Back
Top Bottom