new 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was thinking about a magnum 350 pro with the bio wheels. i kind a like the wheels for the left side. i notice that there's some fish crap on the botom on the left side more than on the right where the emperor is. i usually just stir it up and it 's removed by the emperor. the magnum is on sale at petsolutions for $85.00.

good morninhg al, well my ammonia went up to 1.0 last nite. did a 50% pwc and 2 hours later i checked again and it was back to .5. guess i'll have to wait it out. fish are doing okay, at least they look okay and are eating. i'm feeding them less.l

good morning all, well my fish all seem to okay, i hope. checked parameters on saturday and they were about the same. did a 50% pwc. checked again last nite and ammonia was 1, nirites were 0, nitrates 10 and ph still 6. going to do a pwc tonite. seems that the bacteria is a little slow multiplying. i think i'll take out one of the driftwood also.

Yeah, the bacteria is very slow multiplying. It will probably get frustrating for you.

As far as the magnum 350 goes, not too many people here are in love with that thing. I had one without the biowheels in my last setup, and really the only thing it provides that is of use is the water polishing filter. There isn't much room for any other kind of media at all.

Some of the other brands allow for around 3 different types of media to go into the filter.

Sorry I've been so slow to respond.

thanks JRagg, we're all kind of busy, would love to stay on this forum/chat room all day. just thinking about the magnum. maybe i'll add another hot filter like an aquaclear. well i took joaande's advice and took out the driftwood. did a 50% pwc last nite, ammonia went to .5 and the ph went to 6.8. fish seem to be okay. i think the driftwood was the culprit in lowering the ph. will boil the wood this weekend.

hello all. here's an update on my tank. i took out the driftwood and had them in a bucket, tested the water and the ph was close to 6 after soaking over nite. boiled them for 2 hours, the water was very brown, and the ph is now 6.6. still soaking them. well the tank water parameters are now ph-6.8 to 7.0, ammonia .5 to 1, nitrites still 0, nitrates 10. will do another 50% pwc today to get ammonia down. read on this forum a post from msufan, and it seems like i'm having about the same problems, slow cycling. everytime i did a pwc, my water gets cloudy, not green, but white cloudiness. how can i get rid of this? fish seem to be doing fine. do i just wait it out or what?

Hi - just wait :) The one thing I've learned is that this hobby needs ALOT of patience :)

The white cloudiness may just be trapped air in the new water or a bacteria bloom (which is GOOD). Don't use anything , again , just wait it out. Adding chemicals or other additives is always a last resort (another thing I've learned from all the good people on the forum)

At least the pH mystery was solved !

good morning to all, well i did a 15 gal. pwc on sat. my ph is 6.8-7, ammonia fluctuates between .5 and 1, nitrites still 0 and nitrates are 10. what is going on? i don't think i'm cycling at all. fish are fine. i check the water in my 29 gal. just to see if my test kit is wrong, but it reads okay. any sugestions?

have you ever tested your tap water for nitrates ? it would give a clue on if the nitrites are being converted.
feed less for the time being so that you can help keep that ammonia down.
I'm confused about your cycle too, but someone on this forum will figure it out ! Post your tap water ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings and we'll take it from there

hi all, here are my tap water readings, ph-7.6 or greater, ammonia-0, nitirites-0, nitrates-0. my tank readings are as of 6pm, ph-7.2, ammonia-.5, nitrites-.25, nitrates-between 5 and 10. when doing pwc i use api stress coat. seems like i'm now showing some nitrites. it's been zero for about 3 weeks.

It sounds like you are getting there. The end is definitely in sight. Just keep doing what you are doing.

good morning to all, quick question, should i add aquarium salt? and does amquel plus work?

hello all, did a 15 gal pwc wed. nite, ammonia-.25, nitrites-.25, nitrates-bet 5 and 10. checked again last nite and ammonia and nitrites went between .5 and 1. should i do a 50% pwc? does amquel plus help?

**EDIT**

I retract that statement. I'm not exactly sure what amquel plus does...

http://www.novalek.com/korgd28.htm

I can't tell if it is removing the stuff or making it less toxic. It claims to do both. I thought it was a dechlorinator, and I still think it may be, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case, I think someone else asked earlier if you are using a dechlorinator like prime. I've use Amquel + in the past, but I didn't own a single test kit, or know what I was doing. I just dumped stuff in. That isn't the right way to go.

thanks jragg, i think i read some where on this site that too many pwc only slows down the cycling process and that adding stuff will get rid of bad stuff but will starve the bacteria that's trying to grow. any ideas?

Yeah, I agree that adding stuff is not really necessary all of the time and can starve the bacteria. I think I may have said that before.

I'm not sure about amquel. Unless someone else chimes in and says that it's safe, I would be hesitant to use it.

Do you use a dechlorinator for your water? Do you add Prime or some other dechlorinator/water conditioner?

**EDIT**
I recently changed my avatar, so that could be the confusion about who said adding stuff was bad. I get so confused when people change avatars, I don't know who is who!

Ok, I went by the fish store on the way home from work today and checked out Amquel Plus.

Do NOT put this in your tank. It is sold right next to stuff like "ammo lock". It looks like that is what it is supposed to do. The company that makes it sells another normal water conditioner, which is what leads me to believe that this is not a normal water conditioner.

I hope that helps some.

good morning to all, well on sunday morning i checked my water and the nitrites were at 5 or higher, ammonia-.25 and nitrates-around 5. did a 50% pwc and the nitrires went between .25 and .50. figured it would go to 2 or 3, weird? checked again sunday nite and ammonia-0, nitrites- .50. could the nitrites be converted that fast?

Back
Top Bottom