New 55 gallon, bog theme.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKjEi o2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I got a 55 gallon tank for Christmas. I want to do something new and have decided to make my theme a bog styled aquarium. Slow water flow, lots of driftwood, subdued lighting, somewhat *murky* water.

I was thinking about doing a biotope but don't know which region fits the bill. Also since I want this tank to have lots of plants and little lighting, what are some plants that thrive in low-light situations?

Thanks for the help. Please PM me with questions.

Oh and if anyone has done something like this, could you share pictures?

This is what I have so far... I only have light on one side of he tank for. "spotlight" effect.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388205722.421823.jpg

Crypts, Anubias, and Java fern all do fine with subdued lighting. Try googling "amazon river biotope" for some really great low light tanks.

Thanks that is exactly what I am looking for. The Amazon biotope seems a little too broad for my liking, is there a similar biotope with less species?

Try "Asian black water tank" or "amazon black water tank". Adding specific countries is good too.

Is there a way to make blackwater other than continuously adding driftwood?

Indian almond leaves or tannin extract...and I think oak leaves and banana leaves can be used as well but I'm not one hundred percent positive on that maybe someone with a little more knowledge in that field will chime in

Yeah Indian almond leaves (and other types of leaves), alder cones and peat moss can all help for that effect.

I found out what a native tank is. The only problem is that it's winter right now where I live. Plus I've heard it's difficult to acclimate a wild fish to captivity. Good idea though.

Back
Top Bottom