New 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, i got a 55 gallon tank for my birthday and i want to speed up the cycling process when i get it filled up. I currently have an established 36 gallon tank but it is going to stay up and im not moving the fish to the 55. I would like to know what i could use from my established tank to help speed up the cycling of my new 55. Thanks

Anything at all from your established tank will help speed up the cycle. Decor, substrate, filter media. Filter media is the best way to jump start a cycle. Take some from your old filter (making sure to leave enough not to cause a cycle in your old tank) and add it to the new. If you add enough you can even stock just a few small fish straight away in the new tank.

Thanks for the quick answer and what you mean by the filter media is that some fuzzy stuff from the filter cartridge? Sorry never had multiple tanks before.

Alright thanks for the article. How long do you think it will take to cycle if i add some gravel,decor, and filter media from my established tank to the new one?

adammorrill said:
Alright thanks for the article. How long do you think it will take to cycle if i add some gravel,decor, and filter media from my established tank to the new one?

It really depends on how much you add, how many fish, your water conditions, etc. Cycles with seeded media can cycle in a few days or a couple of months. I've had a tank (10g) instantly cycle to handle 4 harlequin rasboras with media from the canister on my 70g tank.

I set up a new 55g tank 2 days ago using the second filter I had on my other 55g (have 2 on that tank). The filter was pretty dirty and just filled with media. Yesterday I added 4 rosy barbs and all the live plants and decor. I tested the params and they are perfect. Just tested again today and still perfect and the barbs are fine. Today I plan on adding the 5 angelfish from the old 55g. IMO its all about the media you add. Oh and I also added API Stress Zyme+.

Back
Top Bottom