New 55gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M_DonFran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a new 55 gallon on Friday and got it set up and running and I used a filter from one of my other tanks to help cycle it. I tested the water today using a API test kit and it read:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
And nitrate: 5

It can't possibly be cycled yet can it?

Do you have fish in this tank or have you added a source of ammonia? Ammonia serves as food for your bacteria- without they can not survive. If you are able to dose your tank to 4ppm ammonia & your ammonia & nitrites zero out in 24hrs, then you are cycled.

No I didn't put any fish in, just live plants and some decor from another tank and I'm using dead shrimp for ammonia

Well, I don't know if you are cycled or not. If you used filter media then I would say you are cycled, but decorations and plants don't hold that much bacteria. I would wait a few more days to see what the tank does.

*Edited*

You can cycle a tank in no time with filter media, but I just don't see decor and live plants having enough bacteria to cycle a tank. Keep testing for a little longer, because you may not be cycled.

Okay I wasn't planning on getting any fish for at least a week even if it is/was cycled yet

The nitrate could have been present in the filter already I think. Also do you have nitrate in your tap water?

The only way to really test this is to add an ammonia source and see if the ammonia goes away. You'll need to add something though regardless b/c the bacteria will not survive without a food source. So manually add pure ammonia to the tank and test daily and see if the ammonia goes to 0 in 24 hours. There's a link in my signature called: new empty tank. It's the fishless cycle guide and will walk you through dosing the ammonia. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom