New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donkey Gun said:
Are you using some kind of source of ammonia so that your existing BB on the seeded material flourishes instead of just dying off?

Yes indeed. I got some pure ammonia from Ace like people on here have suggested. I'm also using Seachem Stability.

sweeeeeetness... How are your levels coming along?
These are my numbers after I dosed the ammonia last night before I went to bed.

PH - 7.6
Ammo - 0
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 3-5 range (very very slightly orange)

so far so good! :dance:

skywhitney said:
These are my numbers after I dosed the ammonia last night before I went to bed.

PH - 7.6
Ammo - 0
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 3-5 range (very very slightly orange)

so far so good! :dance:

Your ammonia converted to 0 already!?!?

George9 said:
Your ammonia converted to 0 already!?!?

Yep, but....i'm not 100% i dosed it all the way up to 4ppm, as it was late and i was tired, so it has the potential to be a false positive.

skywhitney said:
Yep, but....i'm not 100% i dosed it all the way up to 4ppm, as it was late and i was tired, so it has the potential to be a false positive.

But that's still really good. Did you use seeded media?

I'm debating whether or not to put my Corys and pleco in the tank....the stability says that you can start putting fish in almost right away but im still kinda torn.

I'd wait a few more days to see if it keeps reading 0 ammo 0 nitrite 24 hrs after ammonia is added.

George9 said:
I'd wait a few more days to see if it keeps reading 0 ammo 0 nitrite 24 hrs after ammonia is added.

Thats what i was leaning towards also

Last night I found a ton of hair and green spot algea starting to grow in the tank. What would cause this outbreak all of a sudden?

Last edited:
So because my numbers were looking good I decided to finish out the cycle with some fish in. I now have my Cory's and Clown Pleco in there and so far they are loving it! I've been watching them closely and so far none of them have been showing any signs of stress. I'll be watching them and my numbers really close until I know that the tank has finished cycling though.

I would expect to see a little amm buildup while your bb adjusts to the new bioload.

But, like you said, just keep an eye on those levels and pwc.

Back
Top Bottom