New 60 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have my 60 gallon with what I'm told is Tahitian moon sand (got it used). My issue is I was cleaning the sand or well trying to clean it. I am worried about damaging the roots. I tried using a gravel vacuum and that just sucked up way too much sand. Any tips on how to clean the substrate?

Also does anyone have any recommendation on fertilizer? I figure I am going to use seachem florish unless someone has a better idea for me.

Here is what the tank looks like so far

Thanks

Attachments

• image-3664305041.jpg
    image-3664305041.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 60
Your tank looks nice! Congrats! How deep is the sand? I use Eco Complete plant friendly substrate but many people use and love sand. You will need to research your plants and find out which ones are classed as root feeders. You will need to put a couple of root tabs around each one's root under the sand. The Flourish will be good for them too but more for the plants that put out roots into the water column. I read that all the sand users don't try to gravel vac into their sand but stroke it just above the sand. Sand is so fine, not much gets under it anyway. One thing you can do is have the sand higher in back than the front. The detris will settle to the front where you can suck it up easier. Hopefully one of the sanders will reply to your thread soon. They will be glad to help you. Luck, OS.

OS hit alot of points. Use root tabs for any swords or crypts growing. Flourish is okay but in a tank that size it's more economical to use dry ferts IMO. Also what is your lighting? Adding liquid carbon such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Glutaraldehyde daily would be a good for the plants as it helps them with photosynthesis and faster growth. That combined with dry ferts would help your plants alot.

Personally I don't gravel vac my planted tanks at all as it can damage roots if your not very careful. Sand you can just swish over the top of to lift detris to vac up.

Thanks for the quick replies. I picked up the tank online I'm not sure about the lighting. I just checked they are old for sure all I can make out is zoo something (2 long fluorescent bulbs) I need to upgrade those. Hopefully just the bulbs not the fixture.
I also got the plants from the "bargain bin" at the lfs so I am not sure what exactly they are. All I know is they are all from the easy/low-medium light section. I guess I'll need to do some research on exact type.
I am going to go pick up some root tabs and the liquid co2 in the next couple days.

I also was told to make sure the carbon is out of the filter. Is that correct? I never really use carbon in my filter but just want to make sure

There has been a lot of discussion about whether act. carbon is good or bad in planted tanks. Most of the ones who have the most experience with plants in here say it has no affect on ferts and carbon, just on medcations if you have to use them. They say it's a personal descretion, but most of the old time planters in here don't bother with it. They put in extra bio-media in the space it would use up. Hope this helps. Luck, OS.

Thanks sounds good that's exactly what I do in my unplanted tanks. Just wanted to check. I'm thinking of putting in a floating plant since it is recommended for the pearl gourami, any recommendations on the type?

Pearl Gouramis! Just about my favorite fish. So elegant, gracefull & stately. Just a classy fish! So many floaters grow so fast as to be pests. ie.duckweed. For my baby guppies, I let Myriophylium float around. It is a water feeder and will grow even though not planted. There are others I'm sure. OS.

I agree and so does my little daughter all she wanted when we got this tank was another pearl gourami.

It is not a real natural stocking list but it should be nice here it is:
10 Harlequin Rasbora(already in)
1 platy ( my daughters gift)
1 butterfly pleco (already in)
1 pearl gourami
3 spotted hillstream loach
5 Boesemani Rainbow
5 Sterbai Cory
And the nitrite snail that tagged along

Plus according to my calculation and aquavisor site I still have some room if something else catches me eye

Back
Top Bottom