New 60 gallon setup - a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, I've been browsing various forums, and decided on registering with this one. And for that, I apologize because I will probably end up bombarding the board with questions. ;)

Anyway, I set up the tank on 12/31/10 and added the crushed coral and live sand substrate and let it sit for a few days to make sure everything was good to put the live rock in. After reading the Saltwater Aquarium for Dummies book, and on various forums and articles, I decided not to put very much live rock in at the beginning, so I just got 15 lbs for now, and will add more in a week or two. Not to mention, I need to pay the mortgage rather than buying $400 in LR all at once.

So I put the LR in the tank on 1/2 and tested the pH which was a bit low at 7.9. I didn't bother testing for anything else, since I just added the LR.

As of today (1/4), I tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. While the pH has risen to 8, there was a zero reading on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Is two days enough time for the LR to produce any ammonia?

Now - to my next question. This one will be shorter I promise. There is some green algae and what looks to be some type of algae or possibly some type of coral polyp (red with little notches on it). Should I keep the light off to prevent too much algae growth at this stage?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 2011-01-04 23.33.09.jpg
    2011-01-04 23.33.09.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add that the LR I purchased was already cured, and it endured a 5 minute ride home before being put immediately in my tank.

I would put in as much LR as you can afford and then start your fishless cycle with a fresh shrimp,you can add more LR at a later date bit by bit to try to keep any mini cycles which may occur small,You don't need your lights on just yet as the beneficial bacteria will still grow.Don't worry about any tests apart from Ammonia,Nitrite and Nitrate for now.Once the shrimp has rotted away the Amm will rise and then fall,Nitrit will rise and then fall and then nitrate will rise,when only Nitrate is showing its time for your large PWC and then time to add your stock,CUC and 1 or 2 fish max at first.

Wouldn't the live rock cause the fishless cycle? I'm in no hurry, because this is expensive and I want to do it right. I'd rather it be ready to go with me letting it sit rather than jumping the gun and rushing things, not to mention breaking the bank.

But wouldn't filling the tank up with LR cause a huge ammonia spike? Because the LR I have is TEEMING with critters. I'm not 100% sure what some of these critters actually are, but from googling, I've determined that I have at least 2 sea squirts (brown colored slug looking things), at least 15 mini brittle stars, tons of little flea looking things that only come out at night, some type of worm that is in a tube thing that only sticks antanna out, and a really colorful shrimp!! (I kid about the shrimp!!!)

I plan on adding another 15 to 20 lbs of LR every couple of weeks until I have at minimum 70-80lbs of the stuff.

not that little bit of live rock you have, but maybe 60-100 pounds of it would.

adding 15 or 20 pounds every few weeks might save the little critters you have now, but it will most likely postpone the (safe) addition of any substantial inhabitants, like fish.
you will need to cycle the tank. a massive cycle in the very beginning is better than a bunch of small, and sometimes lethal spikes all through the beginning stages of this system.

Thanks for the advice. There's just no way I can get the amount of live rock I need all at once. Like I said, time isn't an issue. If it's 3 or 4 months before I put any livestock in there, that's ok with me. Besides, my LFS only had this rock, and 2 or 3 others. They are getting more tomorrow and I plan on stopping by to see what they get in.

And you said it'd be better to go on and do one big cycle up front? If I were to go on and put a cocktail shrimp in there to get a heavy ammonia spike, but still waited a while before stocking the tank, would the beneficial bacteria die off and effectively "un cycle" the tank?

I would look at buying dry rock. There are several reef specific rock wholesalers who can give you a really good and porus rock. You want large solid pieces that are as light as possible (just not lava rock) This means they are porus and will have more surface area for bacteria to host. Petsolutions, Marcorock and lots of other will sell you good dry rock you can cure just the same as any others.

One big cycle up front is always the best, you never know whats on the rock that you are adding that might die off and soil your levels. If at all possible, make sure the rock rests on the glass and push the sand around it. It will make it more sturdy and prevents against a burrowing fish collapsing the rock onto himself later.

You can "un-cycle" a tank, but I have founds its pretty hard. You can add really fine bits of fish food like you were feeding the tank every few days after the cycle to make sure there is still an ammonia source for them. Make sure they are fine pieces that will dissolve easily, or it will get lodged somewhere and get nasty. Crushed pellets work best.

Patience is the first key to success, so you are definitely on the right track so far!
Keep asking questions!

My original plan was to get about 30-40 lbs of live rock, and do the rest with base rock, or dry rock. I was talking to my dad about it and he picked up a piece of dead coral from Hawaii about a year ago, and offered to give it to me. I asked him how big it was and he said it's big enough that it needs to be carried with two hands. He's tried to email me a picture of it, but to him a computer is basically an expensive pack of cards for solitare. lol

Haven't decided for sure on using dead coral and was going to read up on it a bit more before I decided.

Also, since I have a small amount of LR right now, would it be ok to toss in a couple of cocktail shrimp to kickstart the cycle or could that kill the inverts I have on the LR?

Hey tjm80,
I also recently set up a 60 gallon saltwater tank with 10 pounds of Live rock, and i also am reading the saltwater aquarium book for dummies.:p Small World!! I would prefer to leave the light off to prevent algae growth!

Thanks,
Bnortz23
moz-screenshot.png

Hey tjm80,
I also recently set up a 60 gallon saltwater tank with 10 pounds of Live rock, and i also am reading the saltwater aquarium book for dummies.:p Small World!! I would prefer to leave the light off to prevent algae growth!

Thanks,
Bnortz23
moz-screenshot.png

Good to know we're not alone! We'll have to keep in touch and grow these tanks together! Plus, I'll get to learn from all your mistakes!!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom