New 72 gallon Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is a Octopus-Premium-TS150-Protein-Skimmer any better the the NW 150?? they want to sell it to me at the same price at the NW 150

can't help you with that one....it's time for ccCapt to chime in. You might even want to pm him for the answer to this one. He's got some real A-1 info on skimmers.

The only thing I can offer is not to go with the coralife skimmer.

Well got my Octopus-Premium-TS150-Protein-Skimmer in on Saturday. Now its on to the decsion on making my own sump or find one that is already built

Okay what size heater will I need since I am going to put it in my sump and what brand?

When I had the 72 up and running I had 2 150w heaters and 1 50w heater. All three were in different parts of my sump so they weren't competing with each other. Regardless of what brand you decide to do get 2 heaters. If you need 300w of heater get 2 150s and a backup of a 100. If one fails you will have another still working and you wont have a temp drop. Don't rely on a single heater to take care of the tank 2 will get the job done and not work as hard.

hehehe-hopefully you have a water faucet close by or you're going to realize just how big that tank REALLY is when you have to haul the water to fill it! LOL

is a Octopus-Premium-TS150-Protein-Skimmer any better the the NW 150?? they want to sell it to me at the same price at the NW 150
Sorry I missed you on this one. There is very little diff between those 2 skimmers. Same pump and same body diameter. The TS version was the first attempt with a bubble diffuser and funnel neck. The NW is the original and has a slightly larger neck diameter. I would say both work equally as well.

Looking forward to some pics on your progress.

Here are a few pics so far

Attachments

• 005b.jpg
    005b.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 006b.jpg
    006b.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 009b.jpg
    009b.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 61
hehehe! Looks exactly like mine.....I really hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine. Great tanks....good starters.....LOL You'll be up to a 125 before you know it!

LoL The wife has already told me I could not get any bigger than this one.

Going to order the lights Tommorro Probably and decided on the sump also.

where I am so far need to cut some baffles and trim the hoses

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
(thanks again Fijiwigi woot!!)
;)

Looking great so far thats a very nice tank. I thought of going with the DIY sump but I am not so handy and I lacked the time to invest in it. I paid $350 for a custom made sump from Glass-Holes.com I would recommend maybe taking your sump tank to a glass shop and having them put in the baffles for you to avoid the headache. My Baffles are (Flow left to right) Skimmer section Over/Under/Over Refugium section Over/Under Return pump section,. Remember the smaller your return pump section is the more you have to top it off because that is where evaporation takes place. This is why the biggest possible sump you can fit under your cabinet is recommended. I have a custom sump that probably holds close to 20gallons of water and If I go more than 4 days without topping off my pump would Burn up. My 46g evaporates close to 1 gallon a day

Just some food for thought

;)

Looking great so far thats a very nice tank. I thought of going with the DIY sump but I am not so handy and I lacked the time to invest in it. I paid $350 for a custom made sump from Glass-Holes.com I would recommend maybe taking your sump tank to a glass shop and having them put in the baffles for you to avoid the headache. My Baffles are (Flow left to right) Skimmer section Over/Under/Over Refugium section Over/Under Return pump section,. Remember the smaller your return pump section is the more you have to top it off because that is where evaporation takes place. This is why the biggest possible sump you can fit under your cabinet is recommended. I have a custom sump that probably holds close to 20gallons of water and If I go more than 4 days without topping off my pump would Burn up. My 46g evaporates close to 1 gallon a day

Just some food for thought

I thought about buying one already made but when I saw that It would only cost me about 60$ bucks to do it my self I thought about it and said Well I will try this my self what could it hurt.

I thought about buying one already made but when I saw that It would only cost me about 60$ bucks to do it my self I thought about it and said Well I will try this my self what could it hurt.
Sounds like a good plan If you uncomfortable cutting acrylic the guys I ordered my sump from can take the measurements and cut some for you and mail it to you with the right adhesive and everything So all you have to do is glue them in.

Yeah I am going to have to get a glass company to cut it. I thought about getting acylic but the store didnt have one and the glass tank only cost $48. I have found out that the inside dimension are not as wide as what is the dimension of the tank are. I had to sand down my Skimmers bottom plate to make it fit in side of the tank. Going to try to get them cut Monday and hopefully my silicone will be here next week also. Then let the fun start on trying to figure the hieghts out on the baffle.

That looks great. Work on the baffles when you have the time....I ran mine without them for several months.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it....I'd highly suggest that you use ro/di water to fill up that monster.

Can't wait to see more pictures.....pictures pictures pictures!!

Okay got my lights order today! I went with the 48" 6X54 Nova Pro Extreme T5 fixture and will pick my baffles up this evening for my sump. Hopefully will have some more stuff to take pictures of when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom