New 72 gallon Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay checked level

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
and
Nitrate 20

TANK IS CYCLED did a 20 gallon water change will check water again in the morning and if it checks out good. I will be off to the LFS store to buy a small group of Clean up creaw and clown fish

Got my 2 clowns in the tank yesterday around 2:00pm with 3 hermits and 3 snails. Everything seems like they are doing great in there. Mabey They have a chance after all : )

Okay here they are. Its rough looking in my tank though : (

Attachments

• 012b.jpg
    012b.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 013b.jpg
    013b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 014b.jpg
    014b.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 015b.jpg
    015b.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 42
My Latest order from cleanupcrews.com I thought they would be in but have not heard anything from them since i ordered sunday

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab 3
Green Emerald Crab 1
Nerite Snail 5
Dwarf White Hermit Crab 5
Blue Leg Hermit Crab 5

Green Hair algae....

Phosphates, and or nitrates. Time to clean that skimmer out for sure! Any and all sponges on your system need to be removed and rinsed weekly.

The best method for removing hair algae (IMO) is to take a bowl of SW have it sitting next to the tank, reach in and pluck the algae off the rock and dip your hand in the bowl. Pluck, dip, rinse repeat. Do that until you can't stand it any more and then do it again. Reducing excess nutrients in the tank will go a long way in helping with the algae.

If you haven't tested your water for phosphates now is a good time to do so. Test both the tank and your source water. If you are getting a reading of 0, try removing as much algae as you can and test again. Chances are you will see a reading of 0 because it is being used up very quickly by the hair algae.

I have chateo in my sump. also clean my skimmer every day. I feed only one flake every other day to my 2 clowns

My chaeto algea i think is acting more like an sponge filter than anything

Attachments

• 017b.jpg
    017b.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 018b.jpg
    018b.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 48
phosphate is showing 0 with my test. Will take it by the LFS tommoro to get them to check it

You may want to consider switching to pellet food. Flake food tends to have phosphates in it, even if it says phosphate free.

Seeing a 0 reading on the phosphate kit is probably a false neg. The algae is eating it up so fast you aren't seeing it on the test.

Okay new Problem here.

Had a water line break in the house messed up my wooden floors. I am going to have to move my tank so they can put new floor down. I only have 2 clowns as of now. What can I do with them when I move my tank and will my tank have to cylce again once I get it back up.

that stinks, sorry for your luck.

How long will the tank need to be out of commission? i.e. are you just going to move it somewhere, or will it need to be taken down for a period of days while the floors are repaired?

Get a couple of trash cans from walmart for your water and lr. Pump out all but about 1/2" water, leave just enough water in the tank to cover the sand. Very carefully move the tank with the sand and that bit of water to where ever you have to for the time being. As long as you keep the sand submerged and all the rock in water with flow and heat you should be ok. The fish can be kept in a small 10g tank while the floor is fixed, just make sure to keep the water topped off and some form of filtration.

I wouldnt think but a day or 2. SInce the floor is concrete and all they have to do is take old wood floors up and put new ones down so surley that want take to long. Looks like it will be a good time to scrub the hair algea off the LR now. Have to wait on the insurance check first so looks like i got about 2 weeks to get ready for that. Also what about the hermit crabs and snails leave them in the main tank? I take it I should put new mixed water back into the tank when refilling?

I would not fill the tank with all new SW. I would have a good sized PWC ready to go and mix it with your old SW and fill the tank that way.

I think my sump and tank is finally having a diatoms blooms. Well mabey this new floor thing will be a good ideal. Will give me time and make some things easer to clean. Also thinking about redoing the plumbing at least on the drain part mabey making PVC. Also going to add 20lbs more sand only in one part of the tank on the front right to get rid of that hole there. I assume that the snails and crabs will not make it thorough this.

Back
Top Bottom