New 75 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my 75g about 3 hours ago. I've had a lot of people tell me to add goldfish to cycle it faster so I was going to get a dozen feeders. Also this was a used tank and when I got it it had very sever Algie problems. I cleaned it as well as I could. So my question is how soon could I add a pleco and what kind? This will be a SA cichlid tank housing 2 oscars and a green terror. So I need a plec or Algie eater that can hang with the cichlids. I had to spend hours removing the calcium build up also. Is it common to have a lot of calcium build up?

A lot op people say to cycle a tank with goldfish But that is not a good idea you want to cycle the tank with what ever you are going to be putting into it. All the parameters are going to be different from the gold fish to the cichilds. I would wait a couple of days to put any thing into the tank. calcium build is normal it depends where and how much. i had my FW tank where the air stone was built up a lot of calcium.

I just used regular ammonia from the grocery store to cycle mine. If you use bottled ammonia, make sure it doesn't contain any detergents or scents. It needs to be clear like water, and shouldn't bubble or "foam" when you shake it.

Or you could toss a couple of (raw) cocktail shrimp in there and let it go.

I would get a bristle-nose or rhino pleco. Def stay away from common. Wait until the tank is done cycling before adding the pleco.

fred said:
I would get a bristle-nose or rhino pleco. Def stay away from common. Wait until the tank is done cycling before adding the pleco.

So what is the big difference between those 2 and the common pleco besides the size

Looks, and amount of poop produced. The smaller ones don't poop as much. The smaller ones also require driftwood to aid digestion. Not sure whether commons need it or not.

Size is the big factor here. Commons (as I learned the hard way) get to be way to big and need to be housed in a 125g min...have you read up on stunting a fishes growth...not nice :(. The others will produce less waste but still eat algae. Although...IMO...it's debatable if you even really need one. With regular maintenance and proper lighting and such you should be able to control the algae. I love my SAE's but don't know if they would work with the cichilids (except for angels...mine don't bother with them!!)

Some people just love the looks of them. I know I do! And as long as you have algae wafers, they aught to be fine!

dont get a pleco unless you have algae.

You should not 'treat' algae by getting a fish. Fix the underlying issue - overfeeding, direct sunlight, too much light, water with excess nutrients, etc. Never buy a fish just to fix a problem. What happens when the algae disappears? Get rid of the fish?

meegosh said:
You should not 'treat' algae by getting a fish. Fix the underlying issue - overfeeding, direct sunlight, too much light, water with excess nutrients, etc. Never buy a fish just to fix a problem. What happens when the algae disappears? Get rid of the fish?

Well I actually love the plecos not just for algie control. And since this is one of the few non aggressive fish that can go with my Oscar and green terror I will actually have a few of them. I feed them just as I would my beloved oscars. I was just wanting some advice on what other kinds of plecs are out there considering the one I have is a common and after I already got him I found out the extreme size they can get.

Back
Top Bottom