New 75 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jd0716

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Going to start setting up my new 75 gallon this weekend. I will be doing a fish less cycle and I am trying to get ideas for an all African cichlid tank. I wanted to see what everybody would recommend as far as fish and how many. I would like a lot of movement and a lot of colors. Any pictures, names of fish etc. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Going to start setting up my new 75 gallon this weekend. I will be doing a fish less cycle and I am trying to get ideas for an all African cichlid tank. I wanted to see what everybody would recommend as far as fish and how many. I would like a lot of movement and a lot of colors. Any pictures, names of fish etc. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

You could go a couple routes here. I did not properly set up my tank stock wise. I have peacocks mixed with mbuna. But if I were to do it over again. It would be an all lake Malawi mbuna tank. Or you could do a peacock set up. With the mbuna, you can have more smaller fish. 12-16 four inch fish. Or 8-10 peacocks that get to six plus inches.

What I have learned to do in my tank is always redecorate. Every month minimum. Do 20-50 percent water change each week. Any over filter. I run an aqueon 75 and an api filstar. My water is great. Rember africans establish hierarchies, so it is best to buy all fish in the same month at the same size. I tried to add another fish one time and he was torn to shreds in two days.

Any questions? Hopefully someone else hops in too.

I don't like to recommend this if you don't have a lot of cichlid experience, but I have a 75 with 30 male peacocks all at least 5 inches and this has been very successful. I'm a firm believer that over stocking Africans is the way to go, unless you're a beginner. Using this method can be expensive and call for a lot of labor, but the outcome can be so rewarding. Mine was a built in wall tank and had 2 canisters and a sump filter so the tank was always clean. If I was to choose you some nice fish I would go with a dark orange OB and a dark German red, find some groups of other peacocks to fill and it would look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom